Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Catherine vs Kate

I love Kate and while Catherine is so sweet and elegant it just doesn't hold a candle to Kate for me. I do like Catherine but I love Kate. Is it better to use Catherine and call her Kate so she has more options later in life or just name her Kate all together. I've also considered Kateri NN Kate. Kateri is very special to me and is currently on my list a mn but I'm worried about it as a fn. Does it have too many pronunciation issues? If you saw it could you pronounce it or would stumble over it? Would saying "Oh she prefers Kate" negate the pronunciation problems? Does Kateri stick out too much with my other names? Catherine, Kateri, or Kate?

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

I'll be honest -- I have no idea how to pronounce Kateri. None whatsoever. If I was forced to read it aloud, I'd apologize in advance and then butcher it. I also can't help but think Kateri lacks the class and sophistication of either Catherine or Kate. In answer to the question of using Catherine vs. Kate, I'm fairly neutral. I generally prefer using the full version of a name on the birth as the official name and then nicknaming as you see fit, but I do think Kate could stand alone. My personal ranking would be:

1. Catherine
    2. Kate
    10000. Kateri

Full disclosure: I'm a Catherine myself and, although I always go by Catherine, I like Kate a lot.

Personally, I would love to see Kateri! It's been a long time love of mine, I think it's beautiful and exotic but certainly not out there or unpronounceable.

Quote Originally Posted by catreynolds View Post
    I'll be honest -- I have no idea how to pronounce Kateri. None whatsoever. If I was forced to read it aloud, I'd apologize in advance and then butcher it. I also can't help but think Kateri lacks the class and sophistication of either Catherine or Kate. In answer to the question of using Catherine vs. Kate, I'm fairly neutral. I generally prefer using the full version of a name on the birth as the official name and then nicknaming as you see fit, but I do think Kate could stand alone. My personal ranking would be:

1. Catherine
    2. Kate
    10000. Kateri

Full disclosure: I'm a Catherine myself and, although I always go by Catherine, I like Kate a lot.

Kateri is the Mohawk version of Katherine - I don't see how it lacks class or sophistication just because it isn't English, lol.

I like Catherine and Katharine more than Kate alone. Kate alone I feel will in time go the way Kathy has - there's always a couple nicknames for Catherine/Katharine that are in, but its not the same one in every decade, and the others sound dated and mom-ish. She might appreciate the option of not being Kate in 30 years.

Kateri is interesting, but my favourite not-really-traditional long option for Kate would be Katriela. I also have a Katia in my family tree who went by Kate.

EDIT: But Katia, like Kateri, is an international form of Katherine, and Katriela is an unrelated name.