Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    my cousins are oak and hickory! <3
    beautiful names!

Hickory and Asa gives me a bit of a hickster vibe that makes them kind of work together - Depression-Era Wizard of Oz's Hickory and an old-school country name like Asa. Kinda interesting and cool. Similar in feel to Asa would be Amos, Cyrus, Hiram, Silas, Jethro, Zell...?

Then there's the nature thing: Rio, Winter, Sorrel, Rowan, Flint, Slate, Cedar, Fox, Peregrine, August...?

And where hickster meets nature name: Jasper. I really think Hickory and Jasper together is completely perfect.

Jasper and August have never been off the US Top Thousand, but they sort of never have been chart-toppers either. I like that about them. They both fit well with Hickory as a modern nature name and as a bit of an old-timey thing, and that's cool to me.

Of the ones that seem nicest with Hickory:

Canyon - cute and interesting as a sibset
    Wilder, Sawyer and Walker- These are nice with Hickory; outdoorsy feel without being to themey; also all great middle names if you go with Canyon.

Other ideas:

Malachi
    Slate
    Winslow
    Remington

Does your last name start with a hard C sound or CH or a soft C? Canyon with a hard C might be too alliterative, although it could work. I don't love the feel of Canyon, but it does pair pretty well with Hickory, although I find it a little bit close to Hickory and Forrest/Heywood and being too similar.

I really like Walker and Asa from your list. I agree with PP about Asa and Hickory both having an old-timer feel that works. Asa is similar in feel to Ezra; I wouldn't do Asa Ezra, but Asa Edward is nice. Edward is great because it's both the birth mom picking it and sharing her initial. I can see Ezra itself working although Asa is a better fit by a touch.

Wilder is nice but I don't think it has real staying power. Same for Sawyer.

What comes to mind:
    Seneca: a playwright, an Indian tribe, a kind of rock, a common place name: the last 3 give an outdoorsy vibe but of a totally different kind than Hickory.
    Weaver: reminds me of Walker and Wilder
    Webster: ditto but a bit more into the geek than Weaver, which might work
    Wiley: matching endings but it works
    Roosevelt: a president, feels naturey because it means "Rosefield"
    Ives: Unexpected name but there is this vague nursery rhyme tie in that right now doesn't feel overwhelming, although I suppose it could be. Also naturey because it reminds of Ivy.
    Sinjin: Thinking of St. Ives makes me think of this rare take on St. John, it just fits.
    Jethro: more of the huckster vibe, also kind of reminds me of Ezra and Asa as an old Biblical name

Hickory is gorgeous! Do you know the song "Hickory Wind?" Gillian Welch does a beautiful cover.
    Hickory and...

Heath
    Tamarack
    Bay
    Arvid
    Rowan
    Fjord
    Ywen (pronounced like Ewan, means "yew" in Welsh)
    Alder
    Grover
    Rye
    Hawthorn/e
    Quincy
    Colin
    Cypress

Of your list, I really like
    Sol, but prefer it as a nickname for Solomon
    Canyon
    Spalding. Very cool. I love Spalding Gray, though his Staten Island Ferry suicide is a sad association..