Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Shocking confession (about food)

Confession: I do not cook.

Many people say that hyperbolically, but I am not exaggerating. Besides the occasional frozen pizza or bowl of cereal, I buy my meals from someone else three times a day, seven days a week, each and every day of the year. Even Christmas and Thanskgiving. We live in a full-service condo building surrounded by restaurants who deliver room-service style into our unit via the building concierge, and I use it daily. I have lived here for nine months now and have not yet turned on the oven.

Obviously, this lifestyle has hit a snag in the form of a small toddler boy, who isn't yet keen on hand-delivered Peruvian ceviche. So I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to start cooking for him.

To that end I'd like some recommendations for a cookbook for babies/toddlers that involves a bare minimum of skill and prep time. Remember this is for someone who *literally* has never cooked and really despises the whole enterprise, but is willing to suck it up (temporarily). As someone who had a wedding, though, and was given gifts whose names I would never know were they not printed on the boxes, I do have all the tools.

I think.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I don't either and i don't want to.... but i find it hard to find healthy food that tastes good too. I'm also a bit bulimic.
    Excludes my top 7 girls and top 7 boys names.

My girls reserve list - Lorena - Phina (josephina) - Rosalind - Luna - Kitty (katherine) - Lucia - Ada (adelaide) - Leona - Nadia - Irina - Nicola - Iris - Petra
    My boys RL - Dominic - Charles (not charlie)- Caspar - Tristan - Rowan

Note: Lorena- 'lor-ayna', Lucia- 'loo-see-a', Irina- 'eye-ree-na'. Official names in brackets and they are just that 'official'.
    (probably ruled out: Freddie(frederick), Archie(archibald), Jamie(james), Owen.)

Well, I'm an adult, but I do enjoy simple meals that seem like they're baby-friendly. A favorite of mine is a big bowl of various steamed or roasted veggies with chunks of meat.

Cooking is much easier than it looks. If you stick to simple, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

I usually do carrots, potatoes, broccoli and/or and peas, but anything will go really. Peas cook really fast--about 10 minutes from dumping a bag of frozen peas into boiling water to them being cooked to my liking. To steam, cut larger veggies into chunks about the size of your thumb joint. In the beginning, it's easier to steam each type of veggie separately until you know how long they take.

Fill a pot with 1-2" of water. Place steamer basket in pot. Put on stove, and wait for the water to boil. Dump in veggies. Cover with lid and stab veggies with a toothpick until soft. Certain veggies can be less cooked, like carrots. I usually eat mine with a touch of salt and butter, but a toddler doesn't need that.

An easy meat to cook is boneless, skinless chicken breast. Fill a large pot with water. You want to completely submerse the chicken. Add a small handful of kosher salt, and any flavorings you desire. I'm partial to fresh dill and celery. Bring pot to boiling, and gently submerse the chicken. Simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 30 minutes. Remove with tongs, and cool until it is handleable. Chop into large chunks and store.

Give him veggies and chicken. I know it sounds a little complicated, but there's actually very little work involved, and you can make multiple servings at a time.

Pasta of any sort is really easy. Just boil the pasta until tender and drain. You can add tomato (fresh or canned) and cheese if you want.

Hard boiled eggs--place in a single layer in a pan. Cover with 2" of water. Bring to a boil, and let boil for 1 minute. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 15 minutes. Removes eggs and put in a bowl of ice water. Doing so makes them easier to peel.

Other, easy ideas/snacks:
    Plain or lightly sweetened yogurt
    Whole canned beans. Just heat.
    Whole wheat cereal
    Bite-sized fruit pieces
    String cheese
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

Personally, if I had the means to eat out or have a meal delivery service all the time, I totally would. I just enjoy food someone else prepared more. But that is not happening any time soon, so I have to cook. When I met my husband, I didn't know how to cook at all. I barely knew how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Now, I can make just about anything I try (I'm still bad at meat temperatures, I always overcook fish and chicken)

In our house, we don't have family dinners or eat at the table at every meal. I sit at the table with Rowan 3 times a day plus snacks, and my husband and I barely eat all day. We snag a bowl of cereal at her nap time, a handful of grapes when she's eating lunch, etc. We eat dinner and relax after she goes to bed (around 7:30-8) Anyway, my advice to you is to go grocery shopping and get food items that don't take much to prepare. Have tons of fresh fruit lying around, it's easy for you and Antoine to eat. Crackers and cheese, hummus, jarred salsa, bagels and cream cheese, frozen waffles, cottage cheese, yogurt, hot cereal, frozen meals. Prepackaged items are usually worse for you, but if you shop somewhere like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, the prepackaged and frozen items are still really good. For Antoine, you don't have to make an adult meal for him. You don't have to even cook anything (maybe microwave) if you don't want to. I'll give you a sample menu for Rowan on a typical day...

Breakfast: Milk, plain yogurt, strawberries, Cheerios, a Plum Organic or similar brand baby food pouch (she still loves these and they are just pureed fruits and veggies)

Lunch: Kidney beans with a little chili powder, cheese cut into small cubes, a few grapes or mandarin oranges, water.

Dinner: Annie's organic Mac and Cheese (sold in boxes of 5 individual servings,) or brown rice with a little butter, blueberries, peas.

Snacks: cereal bar, a few Ritz crackers, Goldfish, Gerber Graduates Lil' Crunchies or Yogurt Bites, dry Cheerios or Kix, more fruit.

I very rarely cook anything especially for Rowan, we have the "Rowan cabinet" in our kitchen with all her food and snacks. I'll give you a run down of what's typically in her cabinet (any food that's mostly just for her) for ideas: individual servings of mac and cheese, precooked brown rice, mandarin orange cups, diced peaches/pears/apples in juice cups, individual boxes of raisins, Goldfish crackers, a bunch of those Plum organics pouches, rice crackers, cereal bars, string cheese, full fat plain yogurt, cottage cheese, Amy's soups (just heat and serve!) organic frozen waffles, avocadoes, frozen peas, canned beans, canned diced carrots, canned refried beans, and her beloved blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, grapes.

A few more meal/snack ideas: Amy's tomato soup with Goldfish crackers, frozen sweet potato fries, tuna or chicken salad (you can usually buy it by the pound at the deli section of a grocery store same with cold pasta salads) freeze dried fruits, hard boiled eggs.

Maybe one of the restaurants/delivery services could deliver more "kid friendly" options? If you had the majority of your meals delivered, but you had plenty of appropriate snacks and quick meals in your kitchen, you'd be set.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I find this all very shocking!!!! I can't imagine being this spoiled.... Wow... I am a cook and it's my full time job I cook for 35 people all day long kids are super easy to cook for. My mom has done daycare for 23 years... Mac and cheese.. Scrambled eggs... Chicken nuggets and then maderin oranges banana apples.. Canned green beans.. Peas you don't even have to cook them kids love them just thawed... As someone from the real world that doesn't live in a palace this is totally shocking and unacceptable.... Seriously.... You don't need a cookbook to cook... I learned on my own when I was 8...If you have to use one get one that shows you the absolute basics FIRST IN PICTURES... yo can't even make scrambled eggs!!!! I think with very little instructions my 7 year old could do that.... Holy crap...