Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cormac, Malcolm, & Rory - too similar?

Do you think these names are too similar to fit in a sibset together? I've had a few people tell me that Cormac and Malcolm are too close, though they don't have any syllables that are precisely the same - I'm guessing it's the 'c' and 'm' sounds that both share that puts them too close for comfort for some. Rory could conceivably - at a bit of a stretch - be a nickname for Cormac; does that rule them out as potential brothers? Would Rory be better off as Cormac's nickname? The more I look at this set, the more I like the idea them together - as brothers - but I am wary of the similar sounds, and I'd like to get some outside opinions.

These names are also the only names my boyfriend and I truly like and agree on at the moment, so I'm definitely willing to hear suggestions, as well.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

I can see Rory as a nickname for Cormac so I personally wouldn't use them as names for brothers, but if someone else did I wouldn't bat an eyelid. I can see the similarities in Cormac and Malcolm but don't think they're too close. Rory and Malcolm is perfectly fine.

Anyway, if I have to pick YES, it's okay or NO, don't do it: then YES, it's okay.

The only thing I noticed at first, actually, was how Scottish the sibset was! Not that it's a bad thing (though a bit odd if you have no Scottish heritage/other connections such as having studied or lived there). All lovely names btw.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Victoria, Diana, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy... don't love many boys' names!

I think they'd be just fine together. I can see why some people might see some similar sound qualities in Cormac and Malcolm, but I don't think they're close enough to really matter. And if don't give the nickname of Rory to Cormac, I don't think anyone else would (doesn't seem like a natural NN to me anyways), so I think both of those names are very useable together too. If your really worried though, you could sub in a name like Corbin for Cormac, which doesn't sound like Malcolm at all (and has no Rory NN).
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

I dont think they are too similar for brothers, similar..yes, but not overly so.

favorite names:

Jane Cosima or Jane Casimira | Fiona Carys Ann | Gwyneth Carissa or Gwyneth Cosima|
    Naomi | Thea | Evangeline | Teagan | Louisa

Owen Drake or Owen Casimir | Benjamin Drake | Bennett Dylan | Asher | Dylan | Griffin| Nolan | Everett | Reid | Drake | Odin | Kieran

I like them together as a sibset. They have similar sounds but I think that's what makes them go together so nicely
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.