Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cormac, Malcolm, & Rory - too similar?

Do you think these names are too similar to fit in a sibset together? I've had a few people tell me that Cormac and Malcolm are too close, though they don't have any syllables that are precisely the same - I'm guessing it's the 'c' and 'm' sounds that both share that puts them too close for comfort for some. Rory could conceivably - at a bit of a stretch - be a nickname for Cormac; does that rule them out as potential brothers? Would Rory be better off as Cormac's nickname? The more I look at this set, the more I like the idea them together - as brothers - but I am wary of the similar sounds, and I'd like to get some outside opinions.

These names are also the only names my boyfriend and I truly like and agree on at the moment, so I'm definitely willing to hear suggestions, as well.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

I can see Rory as a nickname for Cormac so I personally wouldn't use them as names for brothers, but if someone else did I wouldn't bat an eyelid. I can see the similarities in Cormac and Malcolm but don't think they're too close. Rory and Malcolm is perfectly fine.

Anyway, if I have to pick YES, it's okay or NO, don't do it: then YES, it's okay.

The only thing I noticed at first, actually, was how Scottish the sibset was! Not that it's a bad thing (though a bit odd if you have no Scottish heritage/other connections such as having studied or lived there). All lovely names btw.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I think they'd be just fine together. I can see why some people might see some similar sound qualities in Cormac and Malcolm, but I don't think they're close enough to really matter. And if don't give the nickname of Rory to Cormac, I don't think anyone else would (doesn't seem like a natural NN to me anyways), so I think both of those names are very useable together too. If your really worried though, you could sub in a name like Corbin for Cormac, which doesn't sound like Malcolm at all (and has no Rory NN).
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

I dont think they are too similar for brothers, similar..yes, but not overly so.

Considering:
    Jane*Fiona*Thea*Gwyneth*Alice*Evangeline*Bridget*L ucy*Maren*Faye*Rosalind*Betsy
    {middle names}Cosima~Carissa~Carys~Lotus~Athena~Annika~Ele anor
    {honor middles}Florence~Constance~Lorraine~Josephine
    Oren*Lars*Bram*Griffin*Jude*Nolan*Otis*Dylan*River *Pierce*Tristan*Asher*Rhett
    {middle names}Drake~Caspian~Caius~Cassius~Penn~
    {honor middles}Wolf~Carson~Edward/Edmund~August

⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄 ⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄
    CB
    married 5.17.14
    Pup- Lola Bear

I like them together as a sibset. They have similar sounds but I think that's what makes them go together so nicely
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.