Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by philomena View Post
    You're welcome to your opinion but I disagree with you completely. It's a pretty common fantasy-writer tactic, because it makes the names look/sound exotic while still being recognisable and familiar. GOT is meant to be set in a medieval world similar to ours (in the past) except with magic. Having names that are familiar helps us recognise that feel. It would totally take you out of the story if the characters were named Zebob and Iglaixia.

Anyway.. I love the name Bran (it means raven which is perfect) and the name Jorah. For girls, Sansa and Margaery are my favourite names. I would only use the names of characters I actually liked though. Margaery being such a cool character has made me love the name.
    I don't think PP was arguing for Zebob and Iglaixia, more for the actual historic spellings of the names that Martin cribbed from. I don't know about you, but my immersion is not aided in the slightest by reading Catelyn vs. Caitlin. It doesn't look/sound exotic. And veering back and forth between kreative and not can be a little jarring too.

It's also not hard to find actual obscure names with medieval use for when you want something that looks/sounds exotic.

I agree a lot of fantasy writers do it but I consider it a genre crutch. The whole strength of Martin is he doesn't write stuff as hackneyed and cliched as the average pulp fantasy novel. Martin is better than a lot of them regardless of his affection for kreative names, admittedly, but "its common to the genre" is a pretty weak defense since some pretty sad crap gets churned out. If you're going to full-on invent names, go the way Tolkien did and have a whole internal logic/language to it, don't just barf up some y's.

I agree I do like Bran (the name, as well as the character) though. I like Margaery's character but I don't know that I like the name any more than Margery/Marjorie.

I didn't think PP was arguing for those names either, I used them as an example because of how ridiculous they are. I think had he used the regular forms of the names (e.g. Caitlin, or rather Catlyn) they would not have a fantasy feel to them and would be very mundane. At least the names that are just different forms of today's names - Sandor for example, are different enough to feel based in reality and this world, while being distinctive. Imagine how crap it'd be if instead of Eddard and Catelyn Stark we had Eyden and Madison Stark. Hah. Using actual historic, obscure names would have removed the sense of familiarity I was referring to. Not all of Martin's character names are just "barfed up 'y's" - the Targaryens anyone? He used familiarly human names when they were appropriate and more fantastical ones when they were appropriate too. I'm not saying he is the best character namer in the world and he is certainly no Tolkien in that regard but I think he did a fine job balancing the realistic and the fantasy with his naming. And I am super sick so hopefully this makes some ounce of sense.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Quote Originally Posted by philomena View Post
    I think had he used the regular forms of the names (e.g. Caitlin, or rather Catlyn) they would not have a fantasy feel to them and would be very mundane.
    Yep. I read a book the other day set on an alien planet in which the main character was called Georgiana. It was so jarring because it seemed too English and, entymology wise, I couldn't fathom how an alien world has managed to end up speaking English. All the other aliens had English names too.

Catelyn, Eddard, Arya etc for me are all just different enough from real names to suggest that this culture has a basis in our own but has been skewed by magic and different historic events.

Like the PP mentioned, Tolkien did the same sort of thing. Galadriel has a similar sound to Gabrielle (though that's not where it's come from and has actually been formed from one of the Elvish languages) so it's familiar to the tongue without being unpronounceable.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I forgot to add that I also love Osha - but couldn't use it due to my line of work it will always mean Occupational Safety and Health Administration - even if it is pronounced differently.
    ~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Meara, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Ridley, Beckett, Samuel, Donal

Jojen and Meera is a great pair of names, but I think I mainly feel that way because the Reeds are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by niteowl13 View Post
    Selyse is a pretty name. I don't know much about the character yet. She is the daughter of Stannis Baratheon, and she is deformed.
    Actually, Selyse Baratheon (née Florent) is the wife of Stannis Baratheon. His daughter is named Shireen
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"