Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Oh, I forgot Olenna!

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    It really bothers me that he basically took a lot of regular names and just spelled them incorrectly. Edward, Aaron, Caitlin, Jane, Marcella, etc.
    You're welcome to your opinion but I disagree with you completely. It's a pretty common fantasy-writer tactic, because it makes the names look/sound exotic while still being recognisable and familiar. GOT is meant to be set in a medieval world similar to ours (in the past) except with magic. Having names that are familiar helps us recognise that feel. It would totally take you out of the story if the characters were named Zebob and Iglaixia.

Anyway.. I love the name Bran (it means raven which is perfect) and the name Jorah. For girls, Sansa and Margaery are my favourite names. I would only use the names of characters I actually liked though. Margaery being such a cool character has made me love the name.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Margaery, Catelyn, Brienne, and Ygritte are my favorite girls' names. And I actually really like Jaime for a boy. And we have a 3-syllable last name ending in -er soooo....
    Current favorites: Olive, Louise/Louisa, Magdalene/Madeline, Phillipa, Talitha, Mallory, Blythe, Eliza, Mercy, Talia; Calvin, Charles, Gideon, Abram, Jude, Reuben, George, Reid, Clark, Holden.

Olenna, Meera, Asha and Osha, Myrcella, Brienne, Lyanna, Talisa, Nymeria
    Gendry, Aemon, Tommen, Mance

I really want to like the name Arya but all I can see when I read it is "aryan."

And Catelyn really, really bothers me. At least Brandon kind of sounds like it belongs in a fantasy series. But Catelyn? No. Sounds like a stereotypically vapid sorority girl born in the nineties (no offense to the Katelyn/Catelyn/Caitlins of the world.) And if it's pronounced cat-lin, why the E? I just don't get it.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Fionnuala Iphigenia Coraline
    Emmett Kieran August Malcolm Zephyr

Also: some of the actors' names are great. Kit and Emilia and Maisie and Ciaran. Swoon.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Odette Cosima Fionnuala Iphigenia Coraline
    Emmett Kieran August Malcolm Zephyr