29 48.33%
  • Arlo

9 15.00%
  • Silas

23 38.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help me with my list!

I'm due with our baby boy in 10 weeks and I still have no name that I love. My list is fine, but fine is not nearly good enough. Please let me know what you think of these names. My biggest requirement is that the name not be in the top 100 in our home state (Minnesota). Matilda Ann (nn Tillie) is the big sister, and our last name is two syllables and very German. I want the middle to be something very unique, like Ulysses or Aloysius (both of these have special meaning to me). Give me your suggestions, too!!

Arthur
    Everett
    Axel
    Stellan
    Hugo
    Arlo
    Silas (dh is not sold on this one)

Hi Roselang, as someone in North America, with a very long, formal and obviously German family name, I like Hugo the best for you. Lots of people disagree with keeping things consistent but I like a first name that is at least culturally consistent if not the same. We chose a sort of pan-european name of latin origin for our daughter. That way it "goes" but isn't ueber-german. I find Hugo very pan-European like this as well as other names like Felix, Oscar or Cedric. I also love Arthur but not as much with a german surname.

I like every name on your list. If pressed, my least favorites are Silas, Everett, and Axel; my favorites are Arthur and Stellan. Your middle names are rad.

Oh, also, for others - a link to Minnesota's top 100 from 2011: http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/namesbystate.cgi

Suggestions:
    Otto!
    Leif
    Claude
    Magnus
    Soren
    Ellis
    Ingo
    Bram
    Cormac
    Jethro
    Conrad or Conleth
    Graham or Graeme
    Anders
    Rune
    Blaise
    Cyrus or Cyril
    Eamon
    Idris
    Laszlo
    Viggo
    Emil
    Louis
    Ezra
    Alaric
    Linus
    Felix
    Saul
    Aldo
    Peter
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

I don't think you can go very wrong with your list, those are all quite nice names (for me, with the one exception of Axel, don't like that one at all). My favorites would definitely be Stellan and Everett, but with a MN like Aloyisius or Ulysses, it might be better paired with a shorter FN, where Hugo (or perhaps Arlo) would be solid choices. If you looking for some more options to potentially add to your list, here's a few other thoughts:

instead of Everett--- Emmett, Emmerich, Emrys, Elliott, Ellery, Elian, Eamon, Garrett
    instead of Stellan--- Soren, Callum, Cassian, Flynn, Straun
    instead of Hugo or Arlo--- Zane, Egan, Ezio, Boaz, Ezra, Luca, Saul, Oren
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

With your fabulous middles, I like Arthur. It's soft yet regal, and more versatile than your other options.