Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 20 of 32
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Slytherin Common Room
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I'm getting popcorn and pulling up a chair. This should be interesting...
    I'll start baking the brownies.

  2. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    5,340
    First of all, I don't think Lex meant citations on why you like the name Anna. What she meant were other things.

    Second of all, Flick, I find this hilarious:

    Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    Also, I don't like the name-calling, either. I feel as though there are several "prominent" members on here who are incredibly condescending and back-handed and when there is an opinion posted that they don't agree with, they jump right in and have to knock whats being said. "Wit", it's been called, recently. I'm sorry - but I don't see anything witty about putting people down, no matter how eloquently you happen to do so. There are people on here from all walks of life, all kinds of experiences and backgrounds and lately that is not being embraced, it's being put down due to a few certain members having their nose in the air and walking around like they can just say anything they want to anyone.
    Because you were one of the people who were extremely rude (to me, Blade and some others you apparently don't want to mention) in a different thread. I honestly don't know what I've done to you, but you seem to have some issues. It's funny that you say that there are people from all kinds of backgrounds and it's not being embraced. To me it feels like you (and some others) are the ones who aren't embracing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    I guess I just wish that we argued less and shared resources more.
    I agree, and I'm sorry, hun.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

  3. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Funnily enough, I am almost the ONLY person who bothers to do this.

    It's amusing how much I irritate you. You do know that ad hominem attacks are technically fallacious, right? They serve to make you look illogical and petty, and cast a pall over anything you say. As one of the more blunt, plainspoken, occasionally hostile members on this site, who has been told repeatedly in multiple threads that her feedback is unjustifiedly harsh, it is a little... interesting... that you feel so very passionately about tempering ones rhetoric.

    Source: http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html

    As an aside, I think one should be able to actually back up any objective claim one makes. It doesn't mean laying out an exhaustive bibliography each time you discuss a more objective topic, but if you're wading into controversial waters and you want to make sure the message is heard loud and clear, not muddled by however people feel towards the messenger, be able to cite sources.

    This comes up in two main arenas, I think: socio-political topics and any medical stuff that ventures into culture wars territory. I feel very, very strongly that there is a great deal of literally dangerous misinformation in certain domains of obstetric practice and infant health, but (ad hominem again!) simply stating the counterfactual without providing real, objective, easy to understand proof doesn't accomplish anything if people think you're just mouthing some tired, discredited party line. Being able to dissect and (in)validate opposing sources is necessary, too, in weighing the evidence. I don't think these are pissing matches but rather very high-stakes topics where, for example, babies' lives are literally at stake.

    In the sociopolitical arena, there are subjective and objective statements. Saying "such and such is offensive" is nearly impossible to invalidate, but factual claims ("one billion Indians died during the British Raj") can and should be verified if people care and ask.

    One a personal note: I don't like lying and liars and wasting time, and will continue to try to nip time wasters in the bud. I think nameberry is much more pleasant in their absence.

    And if anyone opens hostilities towards me, I am not a gentle 'turn the other cheek' person and absolutely will give as good-- probably better-- as I get.

    I'm not even going to grace this with an answer, but if it's what helps you sleep at night.

  4. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    First of all, I don't think Lex meant citations on why you like the name Anna. What she meant were other things.

    Second of all, Flick, I find this hilarious:



    Because you were one of the people who were extremely rude (to me, Blade and some others you apparently don't want to mention) in a different thread. I honestly don't know what I've done to you, but you seem to have some issues. It's funny that you say that there are people from all kinds of backgrounds and it's not being embraced. To me it feels like you (and some others) are the ones who aren't embracing it.



    I agree, and I'm sorry, hun.
    I was not extremely rude and when I DID realize that I had inaccurately accused someone of something I admitted to it, both in Blade's thread and the other one.

    That being said - I don't take nameberry as seriously as some of you seem to, so going back and forth with you on here over who said what to who and whose apparently better at fighting via the interwebs is not how I plan to spend the rest of my week off - the only reason I even posted in this thread was because something that I specifically wrote was addressed in the OP, otherwise, I just do not care. I had extra time this week and decided to go into the momberry section seeing as I hadn't really been in there before - oops, my mistake. Guess I'll be reigning in my interest on this site back to strictly names.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,563
    Well, happily it appears there will be no Gunfight at the OK Corral, which is good for all involved.

    Just so we're clear, I don't think there should be any "Team X" or "Team Y." Ideas are what should be/are being discussed, not the people who originate them. Both about onomastics and anything else people want to discuss.

    As always, my advice/opinions-- just like every other member's-- are, at the end of the day, worth what you paid for them.
    Blade, MD

    XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

    Aurea * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

    كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Tariq

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •