Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Lex, I think that citing sources is a good idea for certain situations but would be extremely clumsy to implement in most. I would propose that if you have a controversial topic you would like to discuss or something where accuracy is extremely important, mention in the thread title or the OP that you would like to see citations. For example "Intellectual Discussion of Cultural Appropriation – Citations Required" would tell me not to get involved in that discussion unless I'm willing to back up my claims with hard evidence.

I love the idea of citing sources for new names! That way Pam and Linda know where to look if they are verifying the name's authenticity.
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    That being said, I find it highly amusing that Blade can walk around and give out medical advice / opinions / facts and no one asks her to cite anything…
    Also, I don't like the name-calling, either. I feel as though there are several "prominent" members on here who are incredibly condescending and back-handed and when there is an opinion posted that they don't agree with, they jump right in and have to knock whats being said. "Wit", it's been called, recently. I'm sorry - but I don't see anything witty about putting people down, no matter how eloquently you happen to do so. There are people on here from all walks of life, all kinds of experiences and backgrounds and lately that is not being embraced, it's being put down due to a few certain members having their nose in the air and walking around like they can just say anything they want to anyone.
    flick, this is getting ridiculous.

As Blade mentioned, she cites her sources more than anyone else on this forum, removing the need for anyone to ask.

I did use the word "wit" in reference to Blade. The definition of wit is "The natural ability to perceive and understand; intelligence" or "Keenness and quickness of perception or discernment; ingenuity…Sound mental faculties; sanity" or "The ability to perceive and express in an ingeniously humorous manner the relationship between seemingly incongruous or disparate things; One noted for this ability, especially one skilled in repartee; A person of exceptional intelligence" (The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language).

The thread on which I referenced her wit was a thread that Blade started herself to ask for help from this community, a thread on which she was unjustifiably attacked, her skills, abilities, womanhood, and motherhood called into question ("incredibly condescending and back-handed" statements like comparing her cooking abilities to a seven-year-old's and "name-calling" statements about her "walk of life, experience, and background" such as calling her a spoiled pretentious princess living in an ivory tower). She defended herself and her abilities with keen, intelligent, sane, logical, and perceptive repartee – thus, wit. The fact that said repartee is also scathing would be why I called it sharp wit.

In that situation, Blade was not the one "jumping right in and knocking everything that has been said." It was her own thread! As far as certain members "having their nose in the air walking around like they can just say anything they want to anyone" at least the person who made these statements to Blade actually apologized and recanted them.

If someone had said those things to/about me, you can believe I'd have been a lot more than just coldly, scathingly logical! I'd have ripped them to shreds. That's the difference between an ad hominem argument and a legitimate one. A legitimate argument attacks the opposing argument and attempts to rip it apart using logic. An ad hominem argument attacks the opposing person. That is unacceptable according to pure logic, and I have never seen Blade do it.

To make a very long story short: Sweetheart, it's time to let it go, because the rest of Nameberry is getting sick of watching you subvert completely unrelated threads to your anti-Blade campaign. Make nice and move on.
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Thanks Sessh-- very sweet of you.

I think all parties here have more common ground than otherwise. Flick, for example-- I would say at least 95% of the time I agree with your posts on all things name-related. We have similar taste and similar opinions about the sociocultural ramifications of names, etc. I think your insights are, almost without fail, objectively interesting (not because we're in blind agreement, but because you think about what you say).

There are differing perspectives on the appropriateness of 'calling out' trolls and fakers. Some people believe you should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, because even if they are inventing a story an interesting name discussion often follows. Some agree on coming down hard only if people are making plays for sympathy with outrageous circumstances (faking being raped, faking being hospitalized for an emergency c-section, faking medical calamities). Some want to take a hard line on all fake stories in general, as it cleans up the boards and makes nameberry a more honest, productive place. That would be an interesting discussion to have in a separate thread.
    Last edited by blade; April 3rd, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    I don't think there should be any "Team X" or "Team Y."
    Awe, and I was going to make T-shirts and merchandize. Shucks there goes my profit margin.

I'm glad we are having this discussion in this thread and not in another where someone is asking for advice.
    It feels much more appropriate.
    Cheers!
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysessha View Post

To make a very long story short: Sweetheart, it's time to let it go, because the rest of Nameberry is getting sick of watching you subvert completely unrelated threads to your anti-Blade campaign. Make nice and move on.

Uhhh - where did I bring this up other than IN the thread it started in and THIS one - where the thread was mentioned in the OP? Anti-Blade campaign? Uh, no - I made my opinion known in the two relevant threads, I have not followed her, I have not messaged her, I have not brought it up anywhere other than where it was already an issue. *I* am not the one who called her names, in fact, I am pretty positive I stated that doing so was going to far. That being said - the fact that ANYONE gets so worked up over what an anonymous person on the internet has to say just proves my point that some of you take this WAY too seriously. I HATE the way that thread went, I think that a lot of what was said on both sides was either misread or the intentions were mistaken - which is partially why I try not to get into things like this, conversing about things like this through text is very difficult, I think we can all agree that a huge part of communication is body language and tone of voice and those big elements are missing, which, I admit, is probably why some of the things she says rubs me the wrong way -and I apologize for that. I know I have been accused MANY times of being rude and nasty when I have not intended to come across that way, I have since ceased to attempt my usual overdoes of sarcasm online.