Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What do you think of the name Pilar?

There'a a little girl I know called Pilar Sophie, and when I first heard the name I though "that's a bit odd", but as my daughter has gotten to know her, I couldn't imagine her with any other name!

What do you think of the name?

Alex
    [SIZE=1]I'm liking this site :)
    [/SIZE][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Name crushes[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Girls: Evangeline, Annabella, Willow, Shiloh[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]Boys: Daniel, Ben, Joseph[/COLOR]

Mama to Mirielle and Annelise;)

Pilar and her ltitle brother Column. Sorry but I think it's utterly ridiculous. Just too much. You might like it because you know the kid, like I went to school with a girl called Star and thought that was okay because I was five, but Pilar is something else altogether.
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

I know a girl named Pilar (prounced to rhyme with Star) and I have to admit I thought it was odd. Both syllables seem to be quite harsh when pronounced this way. I thought it might be odd to me simply because this was the first time that I had heard the name, but then I remembered that I know a girl named Afton and her name eventually grew on me (I kind of quite like it now) whereas Pilar did not. It is mms, but I really like girly, feminine names generally.

I like Pilar, I worked with a woman named Pilar last year (she was the principal of the school) It isn't my favourite Spanish name of all-time or anything, but it's nice.

Pretty sure milliemm is thinking of the English word "pillar" and not the Marian devotional name.
    Lucia
    Eleanora, Iris, Maeve, Sela
    Balthazar, Bastian, Caius, Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by milliemm View Post
    Pilar and her ltitle brother Column. Sorry but I think it's utterly ridiculous. Just too much. You might like it because you know the kid, like I went to school with a girl called Star and thought that was okay because I was five, but Pilar is something else altogether.
    Do you realize Pilar is pronounced pee-LAR? Yes, it is the Spanish word for pillar (correct English spelling), but it is also a legitimate name in Spanish that has been used for centuries. It refers to an apparition of the Virgin Mary (Nuestra Senora del Pilar) in Spain. I also think it is a really beautiful name. Maybe because I live in a city with many people from Latin America, I've met several women named Pilar and it has never seemed odd to me. It's sophisticated.