Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What do you think of the name Pilar?

There'a a little girl I know called Pilar Sophie, and when I first heard the name I though "that's a bit odd", but as my daughter has gotten to know her, I couldn't imagine her with any other name!

What do you think of the name?

Alex
    [SIZE=1]I'm liking this site :)
    [/SIZE][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Name crushes[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Girls: Evangeline, Annabella, Willow, Shiloh[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]Boys: Daniel, Ben, Joseph[/COLOR]

Mama to Mirielle and Annelise;)

Pilar and her ltitle brother Column. Sorry but I think it's utterly ridiculous. Just too much. You might like it because you know the kid, like I went to school with a girl called Star and thought that was okay because I was five, but Pilar is something else altogether.
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

I know a girl named Pilar (prounced to rhyme with Star) and I have to admit I thought it was odd. Both syllables seem to be quite harsh when pronounced this way. I thought it might be odd to me simply because this was the first time that I had heard the name, but then I remembered that I know a girl named Afton and her name eventually grew on me (I kind of quite like it now) whereas Pilar did not. It is mms, but I really like girly, feminine names generally.

I like Pilar, I worked with a woman named Pilar last year (she was the principal of the school) It isn't my favourite Spanish name of all-time or anything, but it's nice.

Pretty sure milliemm is thinking of the English word "pillar" and not the Marian devotional name.
    Lucia
    travel. teach. learn.
    20-something, name aficionada
    Sela, Vivian and Bastian "Baz", Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by milliemm View Post
    Pilar and her ltitle brother Column. Sorry but I think it's utterly ridiculous. Just too much. You might like it because you know the kid, like I went to school with a girl called Star and thought that was okay because I was five, but Pilar is something else altogether.
    Do you realize Pilar is pronounced pee-LAR? Yes, it is the Spanish word for pillar (correct English spelling), but it is also a legitimate name in Spanish that has been used for centuries. It refers to an apparition of the Virgin Mary (Nuestra Senora del Pilar) in Spain. I also think it is a really beautiful name. Maybe because I live in a city with many people from Latin America, I've met several women named Pilar and it has never seemed odd to me. It's sophisticated.