Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Naming a future baby with the last name "GROSS".

anything you would watch out for when naming a child with the last name Gross (Long O) as far as teasing, etc.? All I have thought of so far is to avoid certain word names and one syllable names. Just curious if any of you have thoughts on things to avoid to prevent teasing and for a nice name flow. thanks!

In all seriousness-- are you sure you want to pass this name on? I assume your husband/partner has the name, not you. How does he feel about it? I think it's a sterling example of how a perfectly normal, blameless name in its original context takes on a very problematic modern meaning.

If its non-negotiable (I.e. no Gruss, Grove, hyphenation, creation of a new name from the two of your surnames, etc) then I would say a) teasing at some point is inevitable, but it's survivable and b) select a cool name which isn't cartoonish of over the top. Donovan, for example, is a pretty cool-guy name, and it can help lighten and distract attention from Gross. Bolt or Maximus or Bellissima or something would heighten it. I would also pick something 3+ syllables again to lighten and attract more emphasis away from Gross.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

haha.. in all seriousness, it is non-negotiable We are pretty traditional. I took my husband's last name, dropped my maiden name, and this will be our future children's last name. I realize some teasing is inevitable with the modern meaning. I agree with your suggestion of something not too over the top. We are attracted to classics or classics with a twist, vintage/meaningful family names. I think Leland "Lee" is a likely contender for a boy name and girl names I am all over the place and constantly changing my mind- but I like Elizabeth "Lizzie" lately. My great aunt just passed today, her name is Ruby Lucille, which I find lovely. thanks for you suggestions!

Elizabeth is a fine idea. I think Ruby would be tough as it's too short, and it's a color/object and makes Gross stand out in a bad way. Lucia, maybe? (need those three syllables).
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Thats a pity then that it is non-negotiable, but then again the meaning of the surname is "tall, big." So your children can always say 'look up the meaning! I think you are getting it wrong.'

I agree with blade, something longer than three syllables that isn't comical would work.

Perhaps something like these?:

Lucinda/Lucilla
    Emilia
    Aurelia
    Lydia
    Thalia
    Helena

Nathaniel
    Alexander
    Frederick
    Evander
    Kit | Susanna