Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    What happened over there with British colonialism basically equates to the Holocaust in Germany.
    I just... wow. I can't even begin to describe how appalled I am at that comparison.
    Last edited by renrose; April 1st, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

As a Jew I'm not appalled by the comparison. I don't think it's 1:1 accurate as a comparison since Britain was, to my best knowledge, being more an incidentally murderous occupying Empire than an intentionally "kill them to the last man/woman/child" campaign but to say it was a genocidal effect and that naming your white kid India isn't much more tasteful than naming them Reich is hard-hitting and a bit of a shock for many, but I'm not sure its unfair.

While I wouldn't liken the comparison to the Holocaust, it can't be denied that Britain invaded almost every country in the world, murdering millions of citizens on their way in their quest for power and domination. India is one example, Ireland comes to mind, too.

Back on topic - I'm not a fan of names from other cultures being used unless the family have a direct link to that culture.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I just... wow. I can't even begin to describe how appalled I am at that comparison.
    Yeah, I've found it's best to not discuss India on NB because you'll get that British colonialsim argument. But feel free to talk about Israel and Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I agree with this. I'm Jewish, I had family members die in the holocaust. Don't compare these things.

And I know I'm going to take heat and hate for this, but in England there are no issues with little India's. India and Britain has a great relationship, and unless you live here and know how our countries are together, please don't pretend to know. I have many British friends with ties to India, I have many British-Indian friends and "real" Indian family members, no one has an issue with this.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Yeah, I've found it's best to not discuss India on NB because you'll get that British colonialsim argument. But feel free to talk about Israel and Jordan.
    Oh, yes, that is so true.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]