Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I have to laugh at assertions that India and Britain have a "great relationship". Just because you know Indian people who are totes fans of England does not erase the decades of brutal, bloody oppression that their country suffered at the hands of the Empire. There is a reason Gandhi was willing to literally starve himself to further the cause of independence. India, like the Africas, is still dealing with the cultural and economic fallout from imperialism. Please do not name your white child India. It's truly the worst kind of arrogance.
    Ehm, are you from Britain or India? Have you ever been to either of these countries? Maybe we should stop using Jewish names as well. Anything from the Middle East really, as well as Irish names. Hang on, are we talking only poor countries or any nation that has ever been repressed by anyone? Cause I can go on and on.

Erin, use which ever name you want. Your child will be beautiful and loved, I'd love to see you with a little Dante!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Ehm, are you from Britain or India? Have you ever been to either of these countries? Maybe we should stop using Jewish names as well. Anything from the Middle East really, as well as Irish names. Hang on, are we talking only poor countries or any nation that has ever been repressed by anyone? Cause I can go on and on.

Erin, use which ever name you want. Your child will be beautiful and loved, I'd love to see you with a little Dante!
    Yes, actually. And even if I wasn't, you don't need to be British or Indian to open up a history book and watch the news.

And yes, people who are not of Jewish or Arabic descent shouldn't use names from that culture. Obviously.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Whoasha, you're an eclectic mix aren't ya?

I guess it all comes down to sensitivity and how secure you are. I'm fine with whomever wants to use names from my heritage, oppressed or not. You're probably going to offend someone even if you call your daughter Jane.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Whoasha, you're an eclectic mix aren't ya?

I guess it all comes down to sensitivity and how secure you are. I'm fine with whomever wants to use names from my heritage, oppressed or not. You're probably going to offend someone even if you call your daughter Jane.
    Not really -- my mother is a British immigrant and I'm of Jewish descent. I was born in the US and have dual citizenship. We have close relatives in England and India (pretty common, as previous posters have pointed out).

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Well, we're basically the same then! Anyway, my point is, a name is a name. Use it, don't use it, don't be so bloody sensitive all the time. It must be exhausting! Live and let live.