Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine kid View Post

That said I'm happy for people using names from other cultures, the world is changing, globalization is growing and we are becoming more knowledgeable of many things. Names should reflect that...

However I do think its wise to stay away from sacred names (religious) such as Cohen. It is always advised to research any names you are thinking about using, there is no point making the excuse that you did not know. Google is your best friend.
    I agree, our cultural borders are slowly dissolving and I feel that can be reflected In our use of names. I think we have to remember that at one point in time all of our 'common' and familiar names were once strongly tied to another culture but because it became commonly used by everyone it lost those ties and became acceptable to use by other cultures. But respect for religion should be taken into consideration.
    Last edited by alexa400; April 1st, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

My general rule is don't use anything that even people who like interesting names would look at your kid and think "Really? Where did that name come from? They don't look ________"

I think there is a lot of wiggle room in popular names--there are very few names in the top 1000 even that I would be surprised to find on any race or religion.

It's really only in less common names that I have a problem. It's not a gigantic issue, it's just a little weird. Meeting someone who looks Irish and is named Keiko throws you off a bit. Being introduced to a black guy who's name is Dmitri is a surprise. It's just a matter of expectations and understanding.

To me it's the same issue as using male names on females. If you expect Hunter to be a boy and she shows up and she's a girl, it throws you off balance.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I have to laugh at assertions that India and Britain have a "great relationship". Just because you know Indian people who are totes fans of England does not erase the decades of brutal, bloody oppression that their country suffered at the hands of the Empire. There is a reason Gandhi was willing to literally starve himself to further the cause of independence. India, like the Africas, is still dealing with the cultural and economic fallout from imperialism. Please do not name your white child India. It's truly the worst kind of arrogance.

And yes, Cohen, Bodhi, Krishna, Asia, et al, are totally off limits.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

So I'm going to ask a totally off the wall question, my cousin can name her 1/2 Chinese son Tao or Jun because his father speaks fluent Mandarin but if I wanted to name my 1/2 Italian son Dante because neither SO or I speak Italian?
    And as to "cultural" names, I'm saddened because being 1/2 German I love learning about the language and culture and I love some more Germanic sounding names but I'm afraid to give my child a stereotypical German name because I worry about how it will reflect on me (I already get called a Nazi because I'm interested in Germany) and my child. The last thing I want is my child to suffer because of their name.
    If I had a baby right now they'd be:
    Isaac
    or
    Blaire

Quote Originally Posted by thefuturemrsb View Post
    So I'm going to ask a totally off the wall question, my cousin can name her 1/2 Chinese son Tao or Jun because his father speaks fluent Mandarin but if I wanted to name my 1/2 Italian son Dante because neither SO or I speak Italian?
    And as to "cultural" names, I'm saddened because being 1/2 German I love learning about the language and culture and I love some more Germanic sounding names but I'm afraid to give my child a stereotypical German name because I worry about how it will reflect on me (I already get called a Nazi because I'm interested in Germany) and my child. The last thing I want is my child to suffer because of their name.
    The most important thing to take into account is the historic and contemporary power differentials between your culture and the culture you are choosing a name from. China has an extremely fraught history with the West, one that includes racism, commercial extortion and cultural appropriation (see 'Orientalism'), not to mention incursion by "Christian" missionaries that continue to this day. Italy and the US, on the other hand, do not have such a difficult past, and people of Italian descent are not subject to racism in the US. Ditto Germany. I'd say using a name from either of these cultures is fine.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...