Names Searched Right Now:
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    There have been a couple of responses to this thread saying that it's great being a young parent because you can travel and enjoy your retirement later when your children are grown up (and you're still relatively young). Personally, I don't really agree. I'm not saying that people who have children young are making a mistake. But, given the choice, I'd certainly wait until I was in my late twenties AT LEAST before getting married or having children (I got married last year at 28 and could've easily waited!). I'm lucky enough to have had the opportunity to travel when I was single and in my early 20s - and I had a ball! I can't imagine enjoying myself as much if my first trip overseas was as a married fifty-something. Of course, I'm not saying that people in their 50s can't have fun! What I'm trying to say is that you learn a lot about yourself and the world when you're young and travelling and I think people who put off travelling to get married and have children young miss out on those experiences, even if they travel later in life. I don't mean to offend anybody - I understand that everyone's different and has different ideas about how they want their life to pan out - this is just my opinion.
    I had opportunities to travel while young too, mostly with my best friend. My husband and I haven't really done any "traveling" in our 6 years together yet (other than weekend trips here and there, a trip to Washington DC, and a Florida vacation) I want to see the world with him, because he is a history nut and would love to see Rome, London, the Yucatán Peninsula (all the places I've been) and more. And I definitely plan on being just as active when I'm 50 than I am now, if not more so. We've never been big party people or anything, so it's not like we used to "have fun" and it just won't be the same when we're older. Even when I was 19 and traveling with my friend, we didn't get too crazy. Just lounged on beaches, enjoyed the culture, and ate a ton of really awesome food.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I'm 25 (a little less than two months from 26). I'll probably get married this year. We're not going to have a wedding, so we don't have to worry about planning anything. I'm pushing for the date to be September 29, since that'll be our eighth anniversary.

I'd like to have my first kid at 28, preferably towards the end of June. The latest I'd be comfortable with is early August. I'm a teacher, so I get summers off, and I want to take advantage of that built-in break to be able to be home for the first couple months without actually having to take time off of work. In an ideal world, I'll end up with two boys and two girls. I definitely want four kids...unless we end up with four boys or four girls, in which case I'd like to have a fifth and hope it's something different.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

I'm sixteen, and about four months away from turning seventeen. Idealistically, I'd be married by either my mid twenties or early thirties, but I could easily see myself never getting married! As for children, I'm sort of in between on whether or not I want them. If I were to meet the right person and he really wanted kids, I'd say "Okay! Let's do this!" but I'd be just as happy not having kids. I guess I'm wishy-washy right now because I still have a looong time to think about it!
    Ask me again in four or five years and I might be like: "Happily married and wanting five kids!"
    Who knows, lol?
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

I'm nineteen, I've been with my OH for 3 years but known each other for 8. We want to get married when I'm about 24/25 which will make him 26/27 and then have around 3 children hopefully before I'm about 34.
    Current favourites:
    Girls:Amelie, Isobel, Ruby and Imogen.
    Boys: Reuben, Joel, Caleb and Tobias.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    There have been a couple of responses to this thread saying that it's great being a young parent because you can travel and enjoy your retirement later when your children are grown up (and you're still relatively young). Personally, I don't really agree. I'm not saying that people who have children young are making a mistake. But, given the choice, I'd certainly wait until I was in my late twenties AT LEAST before getting married or having children (I got married last year at 28 and could've easily waited!). I'm lucky enough to have had the opportunity to travel when I was single and in my early 20s - and I had a ball! I can't imagine enjoying myself as much if my first trip overseas was as a married fifty-something. Of course, I'm not saying that people in their 50s can't have fun! What I'm trying to say is that you learn a lot about yourself and the world when you're young and travelling and I think people who put off travelling to get married and have children young miss out on those experiences, even if they travel later in life. I don't mean to offend anybody - I understand that everyone's different and has different ideas about how they want their life to pan out - this is just my opinion.

You are assuming that everyone has the same wants and expectations out of life as you do.