Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    First of all, Blade is a surgeon. She obviously went to school for a very long time and busted her ass in her career. I don't think the people criticizing her can even begin to imagine how hard it is to be a doctor. OF COURSE surgeons and dentists and people with masters degrees make more money than someone who works at a daycare or a restaurant. If you went to school for 8+ years and worked incredibly hard to become a doctor, wouldn't you expect to make a little more money and drive a nicer car than someone who didn't? I've always found Blade to be very down to earth in the sense that she points out the struggles most middle class people barely even notice. Homelessness, poverty, the problems with the healthcare system, etc. She is very real and blunt. Something I admire.

I have a diploma in Esthetics. I'm a make up artist. My husband owns a small home business and it's our primary means of income right now. We struggle with daily expenses. But in no way am I bitter or resentful towards people who went to school and became something that pays a very high income. I could have done that too, I'm just not the best at school so I never made it past high school and my diploma. While I understand that hearing someone who doesn't know how to cook and struggles with "homemaker" type things can seem very odd, it's not something to get angry about. Just remember, you might be able to make a souffle, but Blade can successfully cut a human being open, fix an organ and put them back together.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Seriously people?!
    Blade asked for advice an now everyone is throwing rocks while sitting in a glass house.
    If you don't like someones attitude why not just stop responding to their posts and threads?
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    First of all, Blade is a surgeon. She obviously went to school for a very long time and busted her ass in her career. I don't think the people criticizing her can even begin to imagine how hard it is to be a doctor. OF COURSE surgeons and dentists and people with masters degrees make more money than someone who works at a daycare or a restaurant. If you went to school for 8+ years and worked incredibly hard to become a doctor, wouldn't you expect to make a little more money and drive a nicer car than someone who didn't? I've always found Blade to be very down to earth in the sense that she points out the struggles most middle class people barely even notice. Homelessness, poverty, the problems with the healthcare system, etc. She is very real and blunt. Something I admire.

I have a diploma in Esthetics. I'm a make up artist. My husband owns a small home business and it's our primary means of income right now. We struggle with daily expenses. But in no way am I bitter or resentful towards people who went to school and became something that pays a very high income. I could have done that too, I'm just not the best at school so I never made it past high school and my diploma. While I understand that hearing someone who doesn't know how to cook and struggles with "homemaker" type things can seem very odd, it's not something to get angry about. Just remember, you might be able to make a souffle, but Blade can successfully cut a human being open, fix an organ and put them back together.

See, I don't get that from her at all. Yes, obviously she has been to school and worked her butt off - that doesn't mean other people haven't and yes - unfortunately, I have seen her belittle people who have seemingly "less" careers or living situations. But that's not what this was about - it was about whether someone who is fully grown and has children should have the ability to function in a kitchen, which she has stated after the fact that she CAN, she just doesn't, there is a huge difference.

If you're only cooking for Antoine, there are a ton of meals you can make. Antoine is a month younger than Julia and she eats regular meals with us (but I don't make Peruvian ceviche ).

Some of J's favorites:

- eggs (scrambled or hard boiled)
    - french toast
    - meat & cheese roll up (in a tortilla)
    - spaghetti / ravioli (you can buy organic canned ravioli, I make extra spaghetti and put it in the fridge to reheat for J or H as needed)
    - macaroni & cheese (if you buy the boxed stuff, just follow the directions on the box! Or, you can find easy recipes online)
    - chicken or chicken nuggets
    - oatmeal

Here's a good site: http://forloveofcupcakes.com/2012/01...-feed-toddler/

I saw someone say something about a slow cooker and that's a great idea. I have to crockpot cookbooks and they're both very easy to use. One is called 101 Things to Do With A Slow Cooker and the other is 101 More Things To Do With A Slow Cooker, both can be found online. The recipes are pretty easy and if Antoine isn't a picky eater, there should be multiple meals in each book that he'd like.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Hello, blade. We haven't interacted much, but I'm hoping I may have some ideas that could help you! I've been cooking and working in the kitchen as far back as I can remember, and am planning to get a degree in nutrition/dietetics, with the goal of becoming a pediatric nutritionist.

• I've seen many others suggest yogurt, and I second that! Same with scrambled eggs/omelets with cheese. Omelets are a little harder, but if you mess up you basically end up with scrambled eggs with whatever you put in the omelet.

• Oatmeal is another suggestion I've seen here. It's pretty soft, and it doesn't take much work at all if you buy the quick oats. It takes maybe 2 minutes tops. I love adding fruit (especially berries) to it. I think adding fruit would make it sweeter and more appealing to kids. Since your son is younger, you could use a no sugar added jam to get the same flavor but not have to worry about a chunk of fruit going "down the wrong pipe" as we say in my house.

• Flour or whole wheat tortillas are great bases for all sorts of things! I'd say take a whole wheat tortilla and spread it with peanut butter (or almond or sunflower seed butter if he has an allergy). The whole wheat tortillas taste the same as regular ones, and I've only met a few kids who don't like peanut butter. If you roll it up before cutting it, it makes spirals, and that would probably catch his eye.
    You can also melt cheese on a tortilla, but I'm sure you've thought of that!

• Applesauce is a good, sweet snack. There's lots of slow cooker recipes floating around, and you'd be able to control the sugar level. You can basically just set it and forget it until it's done.

• Spaghetti or another pasta is a good, soft food. (Whole wheat pasta is really good, too!) Put a smooth tomato on it (maybe even blend up a few more veggies and add it to the sauce) and maybe add a little cheese to get a delicious, easy meal.

• I'd say smoothies are another great option for breakfast, snack, or light meal. There's so many recipes floating around online, that I'm sure you'd be able to find something to suit Antoine's tastes!

I know I've probably reiterated a ton of things people have already said. I did a quick search and found this webpage: http://www.realliferealityblog.com/2...ideas-for.html It has a lot of good options (I hope no one's posted this already!) I'm sorry I don't have any toddler/easy cookbook suggestions, but I totally agree with those who suggested utilizing Pinterest.

I'm really happy that you've decided to start cooking! I know you don't particularly enjoy it, but I think there are benefits you will enjoy Good luck with your cooking adventure!
    Last edited by caramichelle; March 31st, 2013 at 04:30 PM.