Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I wish I didn't have to cook but well I don't have a surgeons salary - so I'm jealous of the time you get to spend with Antoine instead over hot pots. However, I have learned to like making a few things, because they are easy and take near to no time on my behalf.
    I think Otter helped out a lot with her suggestions.

But there are ways you can cut corners to make things easier, I buy the following from the organic store or the farmers market: pie crust, tomato sauce, little finger foods like empanadas or pre-breaded chicken fingers, etc. It takes a bit more planning but it might make easing into cooking easier. (Of course it depends on your markets.) Spagetti and bolognese is always a kid favorite and is super easy. Also look for anything that lets you throw food in the oven for 30 min (esp meat) so much easier, and it gives you time with the kiddo while the food is cooking itself.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Nigel Slater (he's got express books as well, he's very intelligent and writes really well. The food is delicious and the pictures are heaven). And River Cottage (great organic farm/restaurant in England)
    I must agree with Ottilie! I adore Nigel Slater and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (River Cottage) they make simple and easy to make recipes which are very delicious! I would definitely check them out along with Jamie Oliver too, you can search for recipes online very easily.
    But here are a few recipes which are very easy to do.

Breakfast

-Fruit platter with a yoghurt (something like petits filous)
    -Hard boiled egg and some toast
    -Scrambled egg with some cheese you could also add some fresh tomato to this if he likes it
    - Oatmeal/Porridge you could add a little honey to sweeten it or just add some fresh fruit (My favourite is strawberries and blueberries)

Lunch

-Tortilla filled with soft cheese and some ham or whatever filling you like!
    -Pasta with a tomato sauce and you can hide in veggies too if you chop them up small.
    -Homemade soup, all you need is a saucepan and a blender. Depending what soup you like, you can use a vegetable or chicken stock cube and water. You start most soups with frying some onion in oil just as a base. You cook whatever vegetable you want to use in your soup and blend it all together. You can serve it with some nice bread.
    -Roast vegetables and some chicken. You can just chop up some sweet potatoes, bell peppers or whatever you like really and serve it with grilled or roast chicken.
    - Breaded chicken/fish strips. You can slice chicken breasts or fish fillets into strips and dip them in flour and then into a mixture of egg/milk and salt and pepper and then into some bread crumbs (homemade or store bought is fine) you can then fry them in a some oil or you can oven bake them. I would serve them with a tomato salsa and some mash.
    Libby Felicity Annalise Isla Phoebe Carina Violet Martha Ariana | Iowan Macsen Henry Isaac Jude Freddie Aneurin Niall Adair

Quote Originally Posted by bluesparrow5684 View Post
    Wow... I wasn't I find it hard that a person who is an adult has not ever had to cook for anyone.... And yet has time to become a surgeon....
    I don't know how many medical doctors you know, but no one "has time" to become a surgeon. It takes a phenomenal amount of time and effort and you take that time from every other aspect of your life: sleep, family, exercise, and yes, cooking. Even as an attending physician (finished all the training), my husband often works 12-hour days, and as a resident he typically ate in the hospital cafeteria, then passed out at home when he was finished working. And he certainly wasn't making a lot of money at the time.

Blade, I also hate cooking, but one of my favourite easy meals is some form of tacos/fajitas. I just chop up onions, peppers, sometimes cauliflower. I use a pan to saute meat or tofu (could be ground meat or chicken strips, whatever; with tofu I cut it into cubes). Then when the meat is cooked, I add the veggies and keep stir-frying until they are softer. Then I add some of the taco seasoning pouches you can buy in the grocery store. I think you can probably also buy it in jars at a place like Whole Foods or maybe Trader Joe's. It's very fast and easy to make. You can serve it on rice or in a tortilla and top with salsa, sour cream, cheese. If you like rice, I'd invest in a rice cooker. They are fast and easy to use.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Obviously, this lifestyle has hit a snag in the form of a small toddler boy, who isn't yet keen on hand-delivered Peruvian ceviche.
    Hahaha! This cracked me up! The nerve of him!!

Seriously, though, it sounds like you have some really amazing food available whenever (and however) you want it. You've gotten so many great suggestions. Cooking for baby doesn't have to be complicated. Love the idea of cooking a chicken breast and using what you need for a couple of days, and mixed frozen veg are quick and easy to prepare. Yogourt is great for protein, and I've never met a kid who didn't like it!

Good luck! And don't worry about messing up. Scrambled egg, with toast and fruit, is still an acceptable supper

You already have some good suggestions here but I wanted to chime in with the idea of a power blender. we have a vitamix power blender (there are many power blender brands available now) that was one of the best investments we've made. You can throw just about any fruit/veggie in and it blends it up into a beautifully smooth, sans chunks, smoothie. My girls have been drinking smoothies loaded w organic fruits and veggies since before 1 yr old. I also add some flax, wheat germ and probiotic powder depending on what type of boosts they need. So nutritious and a great way to involve them in food prep. Ours (and probably other brands) makes hot soups too in like 10 minutes! It comes with an awesome whole food receipe book too. As you get into it you can make batter for things like healthy muffins too. Seriously you just throw the stuff in and turn it on!
    Last edited by vitamom3; March 31st, 2013 at 12:08 PM.