Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Blade, I think people just freak out over what they don't understand. They don't understand what your life entails, so the fact that you order out all your meals seems ludicrous, luxurious, or wasteful to them. They don't understand the way your mind works, so when you are blunt and sarcastic, with a sharp wit and razor logic, they think you are being a bully, condescending, ruthless, or cruel.

I think they're wrong, because I don't think you are like that. I think you are used to having to fight for the right to be recognized for your intelligence and competence, you are used to having to make snap judgements and give orders, and you are used to people's feelings being a hindrance to you in your job and the root cause behind stupid decisions that land them on your operating table. I like that you are honest, informative, and blunt, and your knowledge and feedback are invaluable to this community. You are sometimes extremely harsh on people, but I think you know that, and I think that's just a defense mechanism on your part, so it doesn't rile me up like it does some people. There's also that fact that when you are harsh on someone, it's usually for a good reason, such as ridiculous stereotyping of women or medically ignorant touchy-feely old wives' tales. If you were ever that harsh on me, I don't think it would hurt my feelings anymore, because you have excellent logic and you come from a good place.

All of that aside! You've said that you know how to cook, you just hate to do it so it's been a long time since you've tried. So here are some resources that might work for simple, quick, kid-friendly meals.

A book
    by Tyler Florence, one of my favorite Food Network chefs, with some easy recipes for kid food from newborn to the dinner table stage.
    This one is on my wishlist. I know it's got some sections on the sanctity of breastfeeding and the hellaciousness of BPA, but I think the healthy toddler recipes are worth it.
    Food crafts you can do with Antoine using some basic healthy ingredients. If you can get past the ridiculous star and crab and rosebud shapes, this could be a fun activity where you're spending time together (instead of kicking him out of the kitchen) so maybe the cooking part will seem like less of a chore.
    Recipes from a show called 5 Ingredient Fix. I'm not sure how many kid-friendly recipes are in here, but as the show title says, each recipe only requires five ingredients, and they tend to be "fancier" more gourmet food which may be easier to assimilate than boxed macaroni and cheese (since you're coming from a Peruvian ceviche context!)

I second the ideas of epicurious.com and utilizing a slow-cooker. That freaking slow-cooker will save your life when you're on a busy schedule. Again, I don't know how many of these recipes are toddler friendly, but here are a couple of my favorite crockpot cookbooks: 5 Ingredient Favorites and Williams-Sonoma's One Pot a Day.

Don't worry, if all else fails there's Toddler Meals for Dummies! :-P
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Ender _____ ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Fawn or Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ and second-guessing River Selene

GPs
    Cirina Wryn, Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Parthenia Nyx, Astoria, Illyria, Gwyneira, Farasha, Serafina, Senara, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Hawthorne, Kenshin, Bastion, Remiel, Atreyu

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysessha View Post
    Blade, I think people just freak out over what they don't understand. They don't understand what your life entails, so the fact that you order out all your meals seems ludicrous, luxurious, or wasteful to them. They don't understand the way your mind works, so when you are blunt and sarcastic, with a sharp wit and razor logic, they think you are being a bully, condescending, ruthless, or cruel.

I think they're wrong, because I don't think you are like that. I think you are used to having to fight for the right to be recognized for your intelligence and competence, you are used to having to make snap judgements and give orders, and you are used to people's feelings being a hindrance to you in your job and the root cause behind stupid decisions that land them on your operating table. I like that you are honest, informative, and blunt, and your knowledge and feedback are invaluable to this community. You are sometimes extremely harsh on people, but I think you know that, and I think that's just a defense mechanism on your part, so it doesn't rile me up like it does some people. There's also that fact that when you are harsh on someone, it's usually for a good reason, such as ridiculous stereotyping of women or medically ignorant touchy-feely old wives' tales. If you were ever that harsh on me, I don't think it would hurt my feelings anymore, because you have excellent logic and you come from a good place.

All of that aside! You've said that you know how to cook, you just hate to do it so it's been a long time since you've tried. So here are some resources that might work for simple, quick, kid-friendly meals.

A book
    by Tyler Florence, one of my favorite Food Network chefs, with some easy recipes for kid food from newborn to the dinner table stage.
    This one is on my wishlist. I know it's got some sections on the sanctity of breastfeeding and the hellaciousness of BPA, but I think the healthy toddler recipes are worth it.
    Food crafts you can do with Antoine using some basic healthy ingredients. If you can get past the ridiculous star and crab and rosebud shapes, this could be a fun activity where you're spending time together (instead of kicking him out of the kitchen) so maybe the cooking part will seem like less of a chore.
    Recipes from a show called 5 Ingredient Fix. I'm not sure how many kid-friendly recipes are in here, but as the show title says, each recipe only requires five ingredients, and they tend to be "fancier" more gourmet food which may be easier to assimilate than boxed macaroni and cheese (since you're coming from a Peruvian ceviche context!)

I second the ideas of epicurious.com and utilizing a slow-cooker. That freaking slow-cooker will save your life when you're on a busy schedule. Again, I don't know how many of these recipes are toddler friendly, but here are a couple of my favorite crockpot cookbooks: 5 Ingredient Favorites and Williams-Sonoma's One Pot a Day.

Don't worry, if all else fails there's Toddler Meals for Dummies! :-P

People forget that online, you cannot see to communicate with them and therefore all of this "wit" is lost on a lot of people, which makes her come off as extremely condescending.

I am well and truly OVER cooking I have done it forever if I never had to cook another meal I would be a happy camper. I would love to have the opportunity that blade has of ordering in for meals daily. It sounds wonderful to me. I am going out to lunch today which is a common occurence for me.

I use the internet to find recipes. I put in the ingredients that I want to use eg tomatoes, beef and pasta and ask for a quick easy recipe. Problem solved - easy!

I think that there is a huge of band of blade fans here on nameberry, and I for one am very grateful for the excellence, intelligence and knowledge that she brings to this site. We should all be thankful that she has chosen to join nameberry. She is a much needed breathe of fresh air, a self made woman who is making a very big contribution to society. If she calls a spade a spade and she is calling you out then if you need a wake up call so be it, be mature enough to take it on the chin.

rollo

I too hate cooking immensely! I've found the 'fresh' pasta and ravioli in the refrigerator section helpful - some of the fillings are spinach and you can often toss some frozen veggies in the pasta water and cook it all at one time. Then after you drain it, toss with pesto, tomato sauce, or butter and parm. We all do what we gotta do to get our jobs done each day and if I weren't gluten-free I'd be cooking a whole lot less too!

I enjoy cooking but it is definitely great to have easy/delicious recipes on hand, especially with a toddler around. We make a lot of roasted veggies (just slice them, add some olive oil and spices, and stick them in the oven until they are tender/crispy), quesadillas (cheese with beans/salsa/chicken/etc.), ravioli -cheese/spinach/pumpkin and so on, pizza (we use trader joe's dough and I change up the toppings -maybe feta and spinach, maybe fresh mozzarella and veggies, maybe with bbq sauce and bacon and onions), we eat a lot of oatmeal -often with baked apples on top or dried fruit, along with lots of other things. I will look through my cookbooks when I get home. You definitely sound busy but hopefully some of the ideas in this thread will help out a little.
    Mama to my dear little bear <3