Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    blade I started a thread a while back which I hoped would be the nameberry 'go to' thread which would supply lots of useful, everyday recipes that were tried and true for kids. I had a few people contribute to the thread via recipes, which I appreciated a lot but it has not revived itself and it would have probably been the type of resource that you would have found useful. Sadly, it did not grow BUT for all those good cooks out there why not track down that thread and contribute some good recipe ideas?

I started the thread because my gdaughter was classified at one stage as FTT which meant that she was very small and very, very hard to feed and I was desperate to get good food ideas. She had severe reflux (gerd) which is an absolute nightmare for mother (not to mention the child), ones whole life revolves around trying to feed a child who either won't eat, can't eat or vomits it up. It is a very exhausting and emotional time for parents esp mothers.

rollo

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Confession: I do not cook.
    Congratulations Blade, you've joined the club .

Great, so we all understand each other. I just made Antoine a mushroom omelette which he devoured, so thanks.

Thanks again, very sincerely, to RGE.

Not to keep nattering on about myself, but I think it really is helpful to think of me as a man. Nameberry is really quite conservative and traditional in many of its social attitudes, so I found it a little interesting the degree to which some people were scandalized that a woman doesn't cook. I am genuinely one of the least domestic people on the planet, but it works since in my marriage we have a great deal of personality gender stereotype reversal. I do all the home maintenance, since I enjoy it. I'm the one at Home Depot, I put up shelving, I'm the one with the power tools, I'm the one who understands my car (though I don't maintain it myself). I paint, sand, putty, spackle, refurbish furniture, etc. My husband is laughably clueless at these things. And he's the one with 'soft' degrees (English, philosophy, law) who makes his living reading and writing. I have degrees in science and statistics and medicine, and make my living both giving orders to other people and with my hands. He's the sensitive one who throws fits and cries a lot, I am maddeningly cold and calm. And I don't cook, nor do I scrub toilets (though I am meticulously organized and tidy, and enjoy cleaning up).

If a man surgeon came on nameberry and said he was going to start cooking for his young toddler son, most people would find it adorable, and likely wouldn't excoriate him for not cooking prior to that.

Most of my male colleagues are married to women who don't work (whether or not they have children) who lunch, shop, get Botox and spend their husband's money. My husband's work colleagues hardly have any spouses who also work, and none of the male partners do. Women in these sorts of careers get double short shrift because the jobs are totally designed for either single people or people who can offload 100% of the domestic responsibilities onto someone else, and in our "copious" spare time we have to pick up the slack our imaginary stay-at-home partner is supposedly carrying.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Well, for me, it is not a man vs. woman thing at all. I wholeheartedly believe that men should be able to function in a home as well as a woman. I think basic skills like cooking, mending clothing, cleaning and basic home repair are things that should be taught to ALL children, regardless of sex - but I do understand what you are getting at and to be honest, I would not be able to function in your world as a woman AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    If a man surgeon came on nameberry and said he was going to start cooking for his young toddler son, most people would find it adorable, and likely wouldn't excoriate him for not cooking prior to that.

Most of my male colleagues are married to women who don't work (whether or not they have children) who lunch, shop, get Botox and spend their husband's money. My husband's work colleagues hardly have any spouses who also work, and none of the male partners do. Women in these sorts of careers get double short shrift because the jobs are totally designed for either single people or people who can offload 100% of the domestic responsibilities onto someone else, and in our "copious" spare time we have to pick up the slack our imaginary stay-at-home partner is supposedly carrying.
    This encompasses a lot of what I've been thinking since this thread began. For pretty much every medical family that I know, either one partner stays home (this includes one stay-at-home dad whose wife works with my husband), or the domestic duties are taken up by a nanny, a cleaning service, etc. Medicine simply is a workload that is incredibly difficult to balance with any additional domestic responsibilities. And I say this as someone who previously worked full-time at a very demanding and stressful job. I cannot imagine carrying the load of a doctor. If I had to work the same hours as my husband, you better believe we'd be ordering in every night too.

(However, let it be said that even though my husband is a doctor, I don't have Botox, I do work (part-time), I lunch at home with my cat, and I drive a 9-year-old Corolla. :-D)
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova