Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dolores??

Question Dolores??

I would love to honor my grandmother by naming our future daughter after her. Her name was Dolores. Would Dolores be too much for a first name? Thinking we could call her Doris or Dot for a nn. I saw that Dot was used as a nn for Doris even though I thought it was only for Dorothy. Thoughts??

I think that it's very sweet that you want to name your daughter after your grandmother. However, Dolores is quite old-sounding, and not very attractive. I think Lola, a traditional nickname for Dolores, is a better bet.

Some ideas for middles...
    Lola Jane
    Lola Verity
    Lola Pearl
    Lola Teresa
    Lola Claire
    Lola Vivienne
    Lola Katherine
    Lola Florence
    Lola Sabine
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

I had the same reaction as the pp. I'd go with Lola, as it's a nn of Dolores and would be a good way to honor her! Lola is one of my all tine favorites!

Maybe Dolores would be okay as a middle name, or some variation of it (Dot would be cute). I really don't Dolores as a first name. It is very old fashioned, it hasn't quite made the trip around to being a cool, vintage name yet. It also means pain. I think it would be a tough name to saddle a little girl with.

I love this name, even if it does mean "sorrows," and sounds like dolorous. So graceful and solemn-sounding.
    If you love the name Dolores, never ever watch the movie Dolores Claiborne.
    Dot is fabulous, and totally works for Dolores. Ditto Doris.