Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Harry Potter story - A nice guy named Tom?

Hello all!

I like to write down my dreams in story form so I have something to read later on that easily brings me back to the dream. Last night I had a Harry Potter themed dream about a girl who was torn between a Hufflepuff and a Slytherin. She went with the Hufflepuff knowing how badly Slytherins were and assuming life would be easier with the Hufflepuff. However, it ended up that the Hufflepuff was the bad guy and the Slytherin was the nice guy who saved her and blah blah blah.

Here's the problem. The "nice guy" Slytherin desperately wants to be named Thomas nn Tom. I KNOW I shouldn't do it, but I can't get him to go by any other name. He looks like a Thomas and acts like every nice, sweet and caring Thomas that I have ever met.

So basically two things. One, can I use Thomas for my nice guy Harry Potter character? And if not, what could he go by? He has the basic appearance of all the Slytherin's (tall, somewhat lanky, black hair, etc.) with a hard exterior, but obviously in the end ends up fighting to save this girl and being amazing caring.

(Obviously this is nothing serious and no one will read it but my fiance and a few close friends, but I still want to make sure I get the best names possible for these characters).

Thanks everyone in advance!
    Last edited by jess0044; March 31st, 2013 at 01:38 AM.

listography.com/JessicaRoseSays

Alexander Owen ~ Patrick Thomas ~ Jeremy Shea ~ Nolan Jack ~ Conor Arlo ~ Evan Daniel ~ Samuel Mark
    Nora ~ Claire ~ Stella ~ Maura ~ Madeleine ~ Violet ~ Victoria ~ Ava ~ Gabrielle ~ Leah ~ Soleil

Unfortunatelly, Tom really should not be used...at all.
    It's like a bad character named Harry, or Ron, or Albus. You just can't do it, the name is too mono-whatever the proper word is. :P

Thomas would be much better, perhaps Timothy (it's got Tom reversed in it?) Tomas, Matteo.

I'd really avoid Tom at all costs.

You really think Thomas would make it better? I'm actually glad to hear that. He's definitely a Thomas nn Tom, but could EASILY transition to just a Thomas. If that would make it better then I'm glad to hear that!

Of the other suggestions Timothy is more on par than Tomas and Matteo (too "much" for him). Thanks for the help!

I'm actually going to change the post to be about Thomas over Tom, because I actually think Thomas works more than Tom (but still think others might not like it all that much!)

listography.com/JessicaRoseSays

Alexander Owen ~ Patrick Thomas ~ Jeremy Shea ~ Nolan Jack ~ Conor Arlo ~ Evan Daniel ~ Samuel Mark
    Nora ~ Claire ~ Stella ~ Maura ~ Madeleine ~ Violet ~ Victoria ~ Ava ~ Gabrielle ~ Leah ~ Soleil

Quote Originally Posted by jess0044 View Post
    You really think Thomas would make it better? I'm actually glad to hear that. He's definitely a Thomas nn Tom, but could EASILY transition to just a Thomas. If that would make it better then I'm glad to hear that!

Of the other suggestions Timothy is more on par than Tomas and Matteo (too "much" for him). Thanks for the help!

I'm actually going to change the post to be about Thomas over Tom, because I actually think Thomas works more than Tom (but still think others might not like it all that much!)
    I'm glad I helped!

Yes, I definitely think Thomas can improve it a lot. Thomas is a common name in the UK I believe, so it's totally plausible, but Tom is so Tom Marvalo Riddle, that the nn Tom just can't work on another HP character imo.

I agree that Timothy is a better substitute than Tomas and Matteo.

What? Thomas? Yeah....not sure about that. I like Tom Petty, BUT HELLO! In a Harry Potter reference, THAT'S THE BIRTH NAME OF VOLDEMORT! Please do something preferable like Harold nn Harry.