Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Huck?

Okay... I apologize in advance for how negative this is about to sound...

The only thing I think of when I hear Huck is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, in which Huckleberry goes by Huck almost exclusively. Your son will most likely have to read this book in high school. The character is not a good person to be named after, or a good role model. Also, anyone with that name is going to be made fun of using a word that starts with an f that rhymes with Huck. Also rhyming with Huck are: yuck, truck, buck (buck teeth, or a deer), duck, muck, and suck. I don't know about you, but none of these words have positive connotations for me.

All that being said, if you really want to name your son Huck, go for it.
    Current Favorites:
    { Adelyn :: Elisabeth "Elise" Kate :: Cassandra "Cassie" Vivienne :: Charlotte "Charlie" Lorraine :: Adelina :: Josephine "Josie" }
    { Everett Cole :: Adam Carson :: Camden Bennett :: Alexander "Xander" Mason :: Aidan Blake :: William "Liam" Anthony }

I love the name Huck, and Henry is my favorite as a longer form. Henry nn Huck is in the running if I ever have child. As for having to correct teachers... I'm a teacher, and I have students with nns all the time. Most teachers will--or should--take their cues from the student. I don't foresee a problem.
    Silas ~ Gideon ~ Lincoln ~ Ezekiel ~ Malachi ~ Samuel ~ Ezra ~ Charlie ~ Gabriel ~ Elliott
    Maisie ~ Sophie ~ Naomi ~ Willa ~ Evangeline ~ Freya ~ Vivienne ~ Nora ~ Josephine ~ Daphne

Quote Originally Posted by lizzard21 View Post
    The only thing I think of when I hear Huck is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, in which Huckleberry goes by Huck almost exclusively. Your son will most likely have to read this book in high school. The character is not a good person to be named after, or a good role model.
    If Huck Finn is going to the bad place, I want to go there too.

Huck is good. Not good in a Widow Douglas kind of way, not well-mannered, but good at heart. He has a powerful moral compass that's unswayed by the cast of hypocrites he encounters throughout the book. He befriends an escaped slave, and helps him to freedom... What exactly about Huck Finn makes him a poor role model?

Huck

My son's name is Finn, and no one calls him Huck....they do call him Finnegan-begin-again sometimes, or Finny but always with fondness NEVER derision....