Names Searched Right Now:

Chronically indecisive....What if I forever second guess my baby's name....??

I am really worried that I'll never find the exact right name for my baby. I still have at least 3 months, but I spend a crazy amount of time trying to figure out what I want to call my child, and I am scared that I will be perpetually 2nd guessing myself. I have a difficult time deciding what to order for dinner. How will I ever chose the right name for a human?

I have a few frontrunners for both genders, but I don't think I'll ever "know" if a name is the "right" one. I am scared I will be back on NB 6 months from now talking about name regret. Perhaps when I meet my baby, the name will become clearer to me, but I doubt that will happen. I'm worried I'll end up not liking the name that I choose. Names I loved 10 years ago, I don't care for now. Heck, even names I liked last year, I have lost my affinity towards.

This is my first, and potentially only, child. I feel like I might only get one shot at this naming business, and I want to get it right.

Any other very indecisive people out there who've gone through this? How did you find confidence in your name choice? I want my SO and I to love, love our child's name, and I want our child to love, love his/her name, too. It seems so daunting.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here, though. This isn't something I'm losing sleep over, but it is something that I spend a significant amount of time each day considering.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

I tried to look at it from a different angle. What is the name that it would be upsetting to leave behind? Would you regret letting go of Juniper? Do you know in your heart that you love it more than you love Sylvia? If you do, then you need to let Sylvia go, and embrace Juniper. Now, can you picture yourself calling out to Juniper? Try to use it out loud, saying things you imagine saying to your child...No, Juniper, don't touch that. Time for supper Juniper. Juniper, you did a great job! Does it feel natural to you? Or does it feel more natural, and easy to use Coral? If it does, then you may have to let go of Juniper.

See what I mean? I found that helpful when trying to narrow down our choices. I felt that I needed to have the name chosen before baby arrived. I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect name, and I was afraid that if I left it to when the baby arrived, that I would feel too much pressure and make the wrong choice because everyone would want to know what the baby was called.

It's hard to name a new person!! You will get it right!

I was deeply torn between 2 names for my son, Wiley and Xander, but made a decision late in pregnancy and went with it. By a week old, he *was* Wiley. I tried to imagine him as Xander and it just felt wrong even after living with it such a short time. I know some people do experience name regret but I think it's a lot harder to change your opinion of a name that's already attached to this wonderful little person. I chose my grandfather's name so there's personal meaning there and even less chance I'll turn on it later. The only thing I can think of would be if it suddenly became really popular, I'd be bummed out, but that's also part of what tipped the scales for me, as Wiley's not in the top 1000 while Xander is in the 200s and could suddenly surge into even higher popularity.

Thanks labmama and kungfualex. I am definitely considering what name I'd hate to forever leave behind. That will be a main factor. It's just that currently there are a couple from each gender I feel that way about.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfualex View Post
    I chose my grandfather's name so there's personal meaning there and even less chance I'll turn on it later.
    This may have to be the deciding factor for my girl's name. I think if I name my daughter after my grandmother like I had always planned, I'll be less likely to 2nd guess myself continuously.

Thanks again. I am sure I'll be back here again stressing out when the due date is upon me, but I guess that's what this site is used for, so thank goodness for it.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau