Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a name for a female character

Hi all,

I’m looking for a name for my MC in my latest story project, a Harry Potter fanfiction. The story is about one particular wizarding family. They are assassins and vigilantes and are known to most as the Shrikes –if you know how the shrike bird does to its prey, you get a pretty clear idea why this family is shunned and distrusted by the society in general. Each and every member of the family is a trained killer, the MC included (although they claim they haven’t killed anybody for decades). They were never supporters of Voldemort; they are neutral in their affiliation and work mainly for the highest bidder. The main part of the story takes place during the second wizarding war, that is, in the 1990’s.

The MC was born in late 1970’s in England and is of Scottish and English descent. She is quite beautiful, with her long curly blonde hair and green eyes, but there is something about her that makes people uncomfortable in her presence. She is unwaveringly loyal to her family and will protect them fiercely. She is strong-willed, even stubborn, and more than capable of standing up for herself, but she has trouble admitting that she is wrong and apologizing. She will finish whatever task given to her, even if it kills her.
    Her father, Roderick, was a bit of a daydreamer and didn’t entirely agree with his family’s way of life; he disliked killing and only did so when there was no other option. He died when the MC was six. Her mother, Jeanie, was orphaned at a young age and raised by strict relatives. She ran away when she was seventeen and strongly believes in following your heart.

What kind of names I’m looking for: Nothing too popular. Something old-fashioned and/or unusual would be preferable. It can even be something completely out-there, something you’d never consider for a real child. Because the Black family has a tradition of naming its members after stars and constellations, I’d rather avoid those kind of names, but they are not completely out of the question. Here are a few examples of names I have considered/am considering: Maeve, Selina, Marga, Effie.

That’s about it. If you have any questions I’ll be happy to answer them.
    "Terhenetar, ether-maiden,
    Daughter of the fog and snow-flake,
    Sift the fog and let it settle
    O'er the bills and lowland thickets,
    Where the wild-bear feeds and lingers,
    That he may not see my coming,
    May not hear my stealthy footsteps!"
    ~ The Kalevala: Rune XIX. Ilmarinen's Wooing

Talitha (perhaps nn Tali or Tala)
    Aphra (very old; lit cred to the first professional female playwright, a contemporary of Shakespeare, so a strong woman)
    Arella
    Branwen
    Clea (prn CLAY-uh)
    Fallon
    Greer
    Gráinne
    Annora (nn Annie or Nora)
    Jessamy
    Livia
    Linnea
    Mattea (nn Tea [TAY-uh or, I suppose, Tee-uh] or Mattie)
    Melora
    Nina or Penina
    Romilly (nn Romy or Milly)
    Romina (nn Mina or Romy)
    Paloma
    Sidonie
    Thalassa or Thalia
    Theresa (nn Reese or Tess/Tessa)
    Tamsin

I was thinking these would sound good. I'm thinking a name starting with E for some reason (I have no idea why)

Esther
    Erin
    Verity
    Callista
    Elidi
    Zora
    Jessamy
    Carina
    Fawn
    Elodie
    Edith
    Elspeth
    Cordelia
    Tressa
    Elowen
    Libby Felicity Annalise Isla Phoebe Carina Violet Martha Ariana | Iowan Macsen Henry Isaac Jude Freddie Aneurin Niall Adair

. . . Mary Sue?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    . . . Mary Sue?
    Aww. It's just a fanfic though, she's not claiming to write a novel. I don't think this one's doing any harm
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.