Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can you make a nickname "happen"?

I was just thinking of Regina "Gretchen, stop trying to make 'fetch' happen! It's never going to happen!" George.

Before I joined the site, I was doing random web searches for "Huckleberry" (the name we've decided on for number two) to get a feel for how it might be received. While the full Huckleberry was pretty much shut down across the board, I noticed that there was actually some amount of interest and positive feedback for the nickname Huck.

Some future moms were asking what other full names might work for the nickname Huck, and some commenters were jumping in to suggest that while, for the love of god, you cannot name your child Huckleberry, you might consider naming him something like Henry or Harry and just calling him Huck.

Anyhow, I've noticed this sort of recurring theme of "choosing and insisting a preferred nickname that is not the traditional nickname" in a whole bunch of threads on this site, and I'm wondering how well that turns out in folks' experiences.

(P.S. We're still pretty set on Huckleberry, but I'm just sort of curious)
    Last edited by tawnysaurus; June 23rd, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

I think this question is a very interesting one to pose to the many on Nameberry. While I do not have any personal stories to contribute, I just wanted to say that your son and soon to be son's names are AMAZING! Holden and Huckleberry "Huck" are gorgeous together not only as individual names, as a pair of names, but as a pair of literary references for your boys. Good pickin'! And might I add that of your "other names you dig" I think it would drop dead if I ever met a pair of siblings named Holden, Huck, and Scout.

I know, right?!
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

I think you can make a nickname "happen" because people will follow the parents' lead. If you named your child Henry and called him Huck, others would follow suit. You may run into problems when your child hits high school. In primary school, they tend to tell other children to call them what their parents want them to be called, but, once they're in high school, other nicknames will happen instead! However, if you name your child Huckleberry, he'll definitely be nicknamed Huck!
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I think if you just start out using the nickname from the get go you'll be in pretty good shape. And you can introduce him as Huck. If they ask his full name and you were to say Henry, they may ask how you got the nickname, but i'm pretty sure, more often than not, they'll just let it go without probing. I've known a few people throughout my life who've had nicknames that have zero to do with their actual name. Sometimes they get it in sports they play, or just a nickname that came about in early childhood.
    My own example:
    My nickname in high school became Frankie for a while, even though it obviously has nothing to do with my real name in any way. It was because I had to get stitches a few times. Twice on my face. Basically, it was a nod to me looking like Frankenstein's monster with all my green bruises and stitches everywhere.
    It didn't carry over after I graduated and made new friends obviously. But the remaining few people I know from HS still use it once a year when they wish me happy birthday on facebook. Haha
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~