Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Zora or Cosima or........

Wow, so far it has been extremely difficult to choose names for our baby due in, oh...two weeks We don't know the gender and initially struggled with a boy name, but are now also second guessing our girl name. We have always liked the name Zora but are hesitant to use it now due to the Spanish meaning of zorra (basically sl*t). We travel frequently and our public schools include a daily Spanish class beginning in kindergarten, so.....it seems like a risky choice, no? So now we are considering Cosima, Saphronia, and Aurelie/Aurelia in addition to Zora. Thoughts? Comments? Preferences?

Do you like Zara? Cosima and Aurelia are my favorites from your list. I like Sophronia, but not Saphronia... Was that a typo? It's hard for me to choose because they'd all be great choices.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

Unfortunately Zara has been ruined for me because of the clothing store I have waffled between Saphronia and Sophronia. I like Sophronia better but don't want it to be shortened to Sophie (cute but way, way popular in my area and the name of a good friend's daughter). Saphronia we would possibly nn Saffron.

How about Zosime? (Can be legitimately pronounced "ZO-sih-may" or "ZO-zih-mee.") It's ancient Greek, the feminized form of Zosimus, a name borne by several saints and a pope.
    I think it's quite graceful, close to Cosima and Zora... Though I like Zora, I agree that it's a bit iffy if you'll be around a lot of Spanish speakers.

Aurelia is beautiful. So smooth and golden.

I wouldn't pick Zora if your child will be exposed to many Spanish speakers. Zara is on my list, but I too am a bit wary of the clothing store association. What about Zola? It is Italian origin and was popular at the turn of the century. LOVE LOVE Aurelie/Aurelia. Cosima is very intruiging.
    Last edited by aje88; March 26th, 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add Zola