Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Ella is pretty but I like Minerva, nn Minnie. Minnie is gorgeous.

You seem to like names that honour family, here are some suggestions, but they probably won't fit that criteria ...

Clemencia
    Eliza
    Elsa
    Elka
    Elise
    Eloise
    Maya
    Romola
    Elizabella
    Isolde
    Persis
    Melisande
    Mirabella
    Eleonora
    Celestia
    Cicely
    Circe
    Mireille
    Lilibet
    Elisabet
    Raphaella
    Rosamund
    Dahlia
    Aurora
    Ianthe
    Cybele

Minnie can be short for any M name, so you have lots of options. Also short for wilhemina and Amelia. Both classics for sure. Minerva is nice, but stiff for a child imo.

I like Minnie as a short form of Wilhelmina! Having said that we call our little Matilda Mini sometimes... i think you can use it for any M name! I also like it as a nn for Clementine. And Ella could be short for Eloise or Penelope and that's just off the top of my head! I definately wouldn't use Ella on its own... I do agree with you that its pretty but its overused and sounds nick namey!

I love the name Ella, but it is super popular here, too. There are a ton of Ellies and Ellas. With that said, I still like it better than Minerva. That name just doesn't have a nice sound to it. I think the suggestion to find another "M" name if you are really wed to Minnie is a good idea.

Other M names is a good point, I keep forgetting how flexible Minnie can be. (I've read that it's sometimes a nickname for Margaret, which I like but DH vetoed.) So really what I want is a nice M name that contains 'ella' or at least a strong 'el' sound?

DH doesn't like many other M names though. He says (reading over my shoulder, lol) that he likes Madeline and Matilda, but that's about it.