Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ozias doesn't feel religious at all to me. The -ias ending makes it read European (think Tobias, Elias, etc) if anything. Most people won't have heard the name Ozias before, much less know that it's the Greek form of Uzziah - which is itself a rarely-heard Biblical name.

Ozias is on my list. It's pretty awesome, especially with the nickname Oz.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Ozias is wicked cool.
    Sounds Appalachian... and well, who doesn't like to romanticize Appalachian culture? I know I do. :-b

Josiah is much more Biblical-sounding to me. Ozias has enough bite and enough geezer weirdness to cut its Christian flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Ozias is wicked cool.
    Sounds Appalachian... and well, who doesn't like to romanticize Appalachian culture? I know I do. :-b

Josiah is much more Biblical-sounding to me. Ozias has enough bite and enough geezer weirdness to cut its Christian flavor.
    It's pretty easy not to romanticize Appalachian culture when you are raised in it, haha. Most of it is not very cool...to be frank. I do have a soft spot for Southern names and history though. Thanks for that perfect description of the name! Exactly what I was hoping.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by argenta_genova View Post
    One of my favorite boy's names is Osias (a variant of Ozias) so I'm definitely interested in seeing replies to this thread. I'm an atheist (raised in an atheist family) yet have no aversion to biblical names. I love Osias mostly for it's euphony, O beginning, and slightly slithery Ss. Ozias, yes, seems quite biblical with the -ias, but it has a great sound and is startlingly underused. If I met an Ozias, I probably wouldn't think at all about the religion of the parents. Honestly, my first thought would be "what an interesting name!"
    I like Osias a lot too, more actually but could I still use the nickname Oz for Osias? Hmm...
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    I like Osias a lot too, more actually but could I still use the nickname Oz for Osias? Hmm...
    Best to stick with Ozias for the Oz/Ozzie nickname, since it seems quite intuitive. For a baby boy Osias, I'd use Sy or Sia ('sigh'-a), since I like that more. But I was an 80's kids, so it's hard for me to say Ozzie... without immediately following it with Osbourne. Either spelling, Ozias or Osias, it's quite nice. Again, I'm glad you started this thread!
    Boys: Ignatius, Hieronymus, Casimir, Osias, Ludovic, Hesperus, Calixto, Aurelius
    Girls: Amarantha, Jacintha, Isannah, Chrysantha, Jonquil, Oleanna, Esmeranda