Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Juneau

Juneau

I know Juno has become much more popular lately and I was just wondering if this might rise in popularity also? It's a place name (which I know can be controversial on here!) and also could be considered a 'yooneek' spelling - not qualities that are going to appeal, I can tell! But to honour Alaskan heritage?

(Juno/Juneau does not actually appeal to me personally at all - this is more of a 'wondering' post)

Thanks in advance!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

Since it is the correct spelling of the city, I wouldn't consider it a unique spelling.
    I like Juno well enough and I think Juneau is equally nice. I honestly prefer it to a lot of the place names out there--Georgia, Savannah, Austin, etc. Because it does feel like it has another level to it with Juno being it's twin.
    I personally wouldn't use it, but I'd love to meet one!
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I'm not a fan of place names, but I would much prefer to see a Juneau than a Juno, especially if it's honoring your family's heritage. It does scream "Alaska!" to me, but if that's okay with whoever's using it, I'd say it's fine. I don't care for Juno. I know it has a history, but for some reason when I hear it, I assume the parents chose it JUST so people would say "after the movie?" and they could respond "Actually, it has a very ancient Roman history" and sound intelligent. Sorry that's so negative; it's just my automatic reaction.

I prefer the spelling Juneau instead of Juno. Only because I associate Juno with the movie.
    Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Basil - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Arlo - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

And just like that, I begin liking yet another name...

Though the goddess is admirable, the spelling of Juno is always what I took issue with. It seems so masculine. Juneau, though? Lovely. I like it quite a bit. But then, I don't mind place names at all, especially if it is personally meaningful.
    Boys: Ignatius, Hieronymus, Casimir, Osias, Ludovic, Hesperus, Calixto, Aurelius
    Girls: Amarantha, Jacintha, Isannah, Chrysantha, Jonquil, Oleanna, Esmeranda