Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Eleanor vs. Elinor?

I've just gotten through Sense and Sensibility, and I've absolutely fallen in love with the Dashwood sisters. Particularly Elinor, she really spoke to me. I've had Arianne Eleanor Kate on my list for the longest time, and I thought Eleanor could be a nod to Elinor Dashwood, but with that spelling, it seemed more a nod to Jane Austen's Eleanor Tilney rather than Elinor Dashwood. While I liked Northanger Abbey, and I love the Eleanor spelling (prefer it, actually), it doesn't seem to have as strong a connection to the lovely Miss Dashwood.

I'm just wondering what others think--would you prefer to see Arianne Eleanor Kate or Arianne Elinor Kate?

Thanks, ladies!

I prefer the look of Arianne Eleanor Kate, I think it looks more classical and sophisticated where as Arianne Elinor Kate looks more trendy, and modern.

I agree. Despite the Sense and Sensibility connection, Eleanor just seems more sophisticated than Elinor.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Yeah go for Eleanor...Elinor looks like a bad rip on a good name!

I am a huge Austen fan. I have read Sense and Sensibility I don't even know how many times. Elinor Dashwood is my favorite Austen heroine (yes, even more than Elizabeth Bennett!) Elinor is on my list because of that. I love the name, the meaning, and the reference to Austen. For me also, Elinor gets the ell-in-ore pronunciation in Spanish more than Eleanor.

I always vote for Elinor.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014