Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Boundary of Too Similar for Sibs

So, I have a few favorite names that sound kind of alike and I was wondering if I ever wanted to utilize both if they would be too similar. How do you determine if sibling names are too alike to coexist?

Here are the examples I'm wondering about.

Savanna & Sabrina
    Sabrina & Samara
    Sabrina & Savanna
    Anastasia & Annabella
    Amaryllis & Annabella
    Amaryllis & Anastasia
    Nylah & Nyssa
    Hadley & Haven
    Calla & Caroline

Like if they are too similar, why is that? It would be great if you could point out what makes them too matchy. Thanks, berries!
    ~ Larissa

Amaryllis Joy
    Savannah Mayfair ~ Bellamy June
    Isla Reverie ~ Holiday Elise ~ Cordelia Maple
    Sage Aurora ~ Madeline Story ~ Laszlo Oliver ~ Darwin Blake
    Gideon Levi ~ Fisher Gray ~ Jasper Elias
    Simon Apollo ~ Orlando Archer
    Phineas Jack

Crushing hard... Saylor Adeline ... Siri Genevieve ... Penrose Elizabeth

I think matchy-ness is purely a matter of personal opinion. Really, if you're comfortable with it, it's probably fine. But here are my personal thoughts on each of these choices:

Savanna & Sabrina Not too matchy, similar sound and rhythm and alliterative. But they seem like different styles to me, with Savanna being a bit more trendy/contemporary and Sabrina being kind of retro-cool.
    Sabrina & Samara Same as above, not too matchy but different styles. Samara is a more exotic choice to me.
    Anastasia & Annabella Both names are nice, but I would avoid as a sibset because they have the same nickname. Both are shortened to Ana/Anna. You can't even go with Ana and Bella, because then you have Annabella again!
    Amaryllis & Annabella Both nice, but styles don't match for me.
    Amaryllis & Anastasia This "A" name combo works best for me. Similar feeling style and different enough to not be matchy.
    Nylah & Nyssa Too matchy for me, though the styles match. I think because the "ny" sound is fairly uncommon, they end up sounding too close to one another. Nylah and Norah might be a better match?
    Hadley & Haven This could work. They are similar in style and sound, and they sound like they belong to the same generation. Also, their nickname possibilities are different enough that you could differentiate them easily.
    Calla & Caroline I like this combo best of your whole list. Calla is a little different in style from Caroline, but I think it still works. And they sound nice together. I would avoid it if you plan on using Cara as a nn for Caroline, but Calla and Lina would be nice together.

Again, just my two cents. It's pretty subjective!

I like Calla and Caroline!

I think Anastasia and Annabella are too much together

I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. For me, the first four examples are too close. They share too many letters, starting and ending with all the same letter. I can see people confusing the names, and I'd hate that if it were my name.

Amaryllis and Annabella, being different aside from starting with A, would probably be OK, if you were in love with both names. Ditto Calla and Caroline.

I think most of them share a lot of letters and sounds. What if you blended them?

Annabel and Caroline
    Calla and Anastasia...
    Proud mama to L. and S.E.R.

*Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Snow/ Adelaide Clover/Annabelle Violet/
    Wesley Rohan/ Hugo Phelan/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Caius Grey*