Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Smile Place names: how much is too much for YOU?

I got really interested in names in my childhood since my own name is boring and I have always wanted to change it. The "second wave" of interest began in December when I started looking for a name for my baby due this spring. And I became such a nerd - yesterday while looking at map hanged on the wall I was like: "Wow, Australia - its such a beautiful name"
    I will never be brave enough to use it but I consider place names awesome in general. London, Austin, Bristol, Vienna, Kingston, Holland, Arizona ... But I actually knew a girl named Philadelphia. She went by Delphia, but I was surprised to knew her full name.(I've never been to Philadelphia and her name reminded me of cheese first I like the sounding, but it was so clunky with her last name...Anyway, this happened to be the place where her parents met(and also mentioned in New Testament).
    So, ladies: do you like place names? If yes, would/will you ever use one? How unusual is too much for you? Do you think it's strange to use the name of a place you have never been to?(or which doesn't have special connections?)

I dunno...my last name is a place name so I guess I don't really like place names as first names...
    Just a teenage writer with a fascination for names!

I think it kind of depends, for me. I like London, Paris, and Arizona, but Boston would be too much for me.
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.

I prefer place names that have a legitimate history of use as first names separate from the place. For example, Virginia, Georgia, and Geneva were all names before they were places. There are a few place names I like that break this rule- namely Indio, Nashua, and Cairo for boys- but I doubt I'd ever seriously consider using them.

There are also some place names that are just downright inappropriate to use- India is the one I'm thinking of, but there are others. And a lot of place names (maybe even most) would get funny looks if the person traveled to the place.

I think it is weird when people name their children after places they currently live. Like meeting a Savannah living in Savannah, GA. That is just too much.