Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Nearly every name is a place name, and place names are certainly nothing new. I generally don't have a problem with them unless we're talking something along the lines of Madagascar or Czechoslovakia.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

do you like place names? YES
    If yes, would/will you ever use one? Yes!
    How unusual is too much for you? None
    Do you think it's strange to use the name of a place you have never been to?(or which doesn't have special connections?) No, I love names that have meanings behind them, but I don't think you have to have a connection to the place.
    Current Favorite Names
    ♀ Monet | Monroe | Celsius (MN) | Malachi | Chai | Iowa
    ♂ Celsius (MN) | Monroe | Andrew

"Cat Mom" to: Tiger Lilly Jane

I only like place names if they have some meaning behind them. The only place names I would consider using are:
    Ardara, because it is the name of the parish in Ireland where my ancestors came from.
    Orlando, because my family made many family memories in Orlando, FL. (plus I really like the nn Lando)
    Kingston, because 3 generations of my family have lived in this town.

While there are other place names that I think sound really awesome, like Dakota or Dallas, I wouldn't feel right using them without some connection to the place.
    http://geeknames.blogspot.com/
    My favorites right now:
    Girls: Alena, Anya, Emme, Fable, Gwyneth, Thalia, Thora, Vaiva
    Boys: August, Bodhi, Blake, Declan, Eamon, Fergus, Finch, Rory

I've always loved the name London. It is my favorite city in the world and to me, the name just makes me think of my love for everything UK. But it's so popular, and even a bit low-class in some instances so i've never been able to truly consider it for a name of my child.
    My SO and I travelled across Eastern Europe last spring and really enjoyed our time in Odessa, Ukraine and considered it as a middle for our current baby girl in utero, but when I tested it on a few friends, they thought it was a reference to the city in Texas! No thank you!
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie413 View Post
    I've always loved the name London. It is my favorite city in the world and to me, the name just makes me think of my love for everything UK. But it's so popular, and even a bit low-class in some instances so i've never been able to truly consider it for a name of my child.
    My SO and I travelled across Eastern Europe last spring and really enjoyed our time in Odessa, Ukraine and considered it as a middle for our current baby girl in utero, but when I tested it on a few friends, they thought it was a reference to the city in Texas! No thank you!
    I used to live in Midland which is about 20min from Odessa. Yup this was in Texas. I wouldn't use it as a name because that town is out there.

I love place names though. I don't consider London a boy's name though. They used London for the girl on Suite Life of Zach and Cody so its not a good idea.

I like Ireland, Houston, London, Arizona, Georgia and Scotland.
    I honestly don't see the issue and I love all of those names and I think they can easily be names.