Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    I worked with a young women named Story. It never struck me as odd until I actually saw it on a business card and realize it was the word "story".

If you are okay with nn's that are a little more obscure. (all my other suggestions were already listed)
    The arabic Rawina (storyteller) or yoruban Enitan (person of story) could work too.

Edit:
    I just pulled out our Etymology books and looked up Story. (Not that is suggests names but....)
    This is what it said: (well abbreviated)
    n. [...] Probably before 1200 storie [...] borrowed from the Old French estorie from the Late Latin storia, and as a learned borrowing in Old French from Latin historia.
    I liked the ideas of Estorie. It feels a bit like it could be the french version of Astoria.
    Last edited by lexiem; March 25th, 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: extra thoughts
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I've never understood why people insist on naming a child one thing just so they can call the baby by something else??!! In my family you don't give a baby a nickname before the baby is born. And even then a nickname comes with time when you get to know this little person and see his or her character. All 3 of my children have multiple nicknames. Cause when you think about it a nickname is a term of endearment. If you want to call her Story why not just name her Story?? Just a thought.... P.S my youngest is named Story

I've never understood why people insist on naming a child one thing just so they can call the baby by something else??!! In my family you don't give a baby a nickname before the baby is born. And even then a nickname comes with time when you get to know this little person and see his or her character. All 3 of my children have multiple nicknames. Cause when you think about it a nickname is a term of endearment. If you want to call her Story why not just name her Story?? Just a thought.... P.S my youngest is named Story

I want to apologize to all of you lovely helpful people for not responding sooner! Hubs and I are in the process of moving, so my life (and my mind!) have been very chaotic of late. Thanks for your patience!

rousette - I can see Story as a nn for Victoria. I'm not sure about Victoria herself, she's a little...well, Victorian for me I would probably only use Saga on a boy because of the harsher sounds, but I like the word association idea

mclola - Stockard and Stesichore are definitely not my style, but Sotiria is gorgeous! I love the meaning too.

bonnielyn - unfortunately Hubs has vetoed Serafina...I just haven't the heart to let go of her yet. For some reason Story as a mn is not ideal for me, but I will flip through my girls' lists and see what I have that makes a good combo.

poppy - just so you know, I paused in my drafting of this reply to go on a two-hour tangent discovering and falling in love with Waldorf schools. (Holistic education! and they have so many resources for homeschooling!) As for Aster or Astor...for some reason I hear the "ass" part in these two more than I do in Astoria, probably because of the emphasis, and I worry about the teasing potential.

ninanoo, meetcute, and goodkarmavt - I do think Story is lovely and fresh on her own, I'm just not totally on board with a word-name fn yet. I think Hubby will strongly object.

emms - Sotiria is pretty much amazing. Christobel, however, is not going to happen :P (Alice Blue is darling, but I'm mad about Willow, and Hubs would never agree to the color name)

blade - eek! Heretical is right, haha. Too bad, because Nestoria is a lovely name.

meetcute - that is an original idea! You're right, I'm a total bibliophile. I'll have to think about my favorite storybook characters and see what I come up with.

otter - Storia and Esteri are gorgeous! I like Steorra, but it's a little hard for me to say.

names123 - thank you for your suggestions! For me, Historia is the only one that really seems like an intuitive full name for Story, but I do love Natasha, Anastasia, and Celestia (this spelling) for themselves.

flick - I hear you. I think my problem is that nothing seems as intuitive and perfect for a full name as Astoria. I'm not sure I can commit to Story on her own. I just want to see what other options are out there before I let this one go.

lex - Rawina is pretty...you know if we're using storyteller names to get to Story, this might be the perfect place to put Scheherazade! My husband would croak... Estorie is amazing! How would one pronounce it? I'm usually quite terrible with French pronunciations, but it's such a perfect idea. Thank you!

meriyah2 - In my case, it's because I'm not as brave as you I have trouble committing to a word name as a first name, partly because my husband usually shoots them down right out the gate, and partly because I want to give my child options I guess. For an Astoria, she can go by Story her whole life, but if she experiences teasing or she's worried about how it will look on a resume, she can use her full name. I met a girl named Story Elizabeth and thought that was a lovely solution...she has a traditional middle to fall back on if her first gives her too much trouble. I'm not a fan of most traditional names though, so it would be hard for me to give one even as a middle.

So a couple of questions:
    --is the nickname Story worth going through all the trouble of finding a full name alternative to Astoria? Or am I really just pining for a name I can't replace? Because the idea of using Story on its own, whether as a first or a middle, doesn't seem to appeal to me as much.
    --does Wisteria work? That one's been on my list forever, with the nn Wish, but it's similar in sound to Astoria and suggestions like Esteri and Asteria. Thoughts?

As always, Berries rock my socks
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Why not Story as the middle name? You can give her a more classic first name, and call her Story whenever you like.
    Favorite Girls' Names: Amalie, Cecily, Cordelia, Esther, Felicity, Iris, Lucinda, Miranda, Tessa

Favorite Boys' Names: Dean, Gideon, Jasper, Miles, Theodore.

Babies: Annika Vivian (born 11/2013), Baby #2 expected April, 2015!