Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Co-sleeping

Here is the thing: along with the western practice of putting babies in their own space is the western practice of grownups sleeping on soft mattresses with cushy pillows and blankets. I don't know if its been mentioned here, but SIDS is often caused by the baby re-breathing trapped air. This is why the AAP is now anti-bumpers- b.c they don't allow good air flow around the baby. So if you imagine a baby surrounded by pillows and blankets and nestled into a soft mattress, you can see how this could inhibit air flow. I am not even talking about a parent rolling over on the baby, just about air flow. So even if you are 100 percent positive that you could never roll on top of your baby, it is still risky b.c of the re-breathing. If you want to co-sleep safely, your best bet is the way that non-western cultures do it. This would be on mat on the floor, no pillows, preferably with the mother alone.

Co-sleeping is the best experience to sleep baby with parents at night, and till 1 years at least mothers should be careful to keep their baby with her so baby feels comfortable to breast feeding and sleeping.

Nursing your baby is a really special bonding experience, and both you and the baby fall into a really relaxed feeling. I also find that it tends to make me sleepy. Mia and I fell asleep on the couch while nursing quite often, and one of those I had my back to the couch with my arm around her preventing her from falling off the edge.However when I woke up I was so groggy immediately and I lifted my arm not feeling or remembering that Mia was there and she rolled off the edge and fell on the floor! She cried but luckily was unharmed, She only fell a few inches but it could've turned out way worse. I have plenty of mama instincts (Mia is the fourth born!) but things happen. I cannot express how awful and guilty I felt when she fell and started crying. I do endorse being responsive to your baby needs, but definitely wouldn't co-sleep without a proper vessel. I use a round bassinet within a couple feet of our bed for Gemma.
    Not so done having children after all. We're not ready for TTC quite yet but when we do get pregnant,the husband handed sole naming rights over to his name obsessed wife!

Bouncy Baby Boy: Tristan LeMarque * Ambrose Galahad
    Little Lady: Genevieve Claire * Josephine Adele

To add my 2c in to this topic - as I am a little different to the others on here. I'm surprised that people are still linking cosleeping with breastfeeding/bonding/emotional stability. I breastfed both my kidlets for over a year. Yes, I got up during the night and often breastfed them in my bed. But as soon as the feed was finished it was a snuggle and a kiss and back into their bassinets/cots. Cosleeping is not necessary to bond with your children. I bonded with my children when they were a tiny flicker of a heartbeat in my tummy. Emotional stability, in my experience, comes from consistent parenting with love, kindness and fun but together with gentle guidance and discipline. My 3 1/2 year old is a confident polite little girl and my 22mth old son is developing in the same way. My daughter and son both "self settled" in their beds from an early age and bedtime routine is crucial for OUR happy house. My kids love their beds and find it to be a safe, warm and happy environment and have always happily taken themselves to bed. But this is as a result of our gentle guidance and making them feel safe and happy - both when they are with us AND when they are away from us. When the kids are both sleeping by 7pm this is then time I can spend with my husband or chilling out (ie on nameberry!). Of course there are nights (or early mornings) that they, particularly my son, come into our beds. But they actually don't like it - my daughter always wants to go back to her room!

I say all this as this works for us and our family. My children know they are loved and cherished and being brought up in a safe and stable home. This is all children want. I did not need to cosleep for my children to know this. But if you cosleep then thats cool too. Just don't go telling me that my kids will grow up with some emotional instability because we chose not to sleep with our kids. Because I simply don't agree.
    Mummy to the gorgeous Alice Heather and the delicious Harry George

Bubba #3 due March 2014! Finalising short list of favourite names!

As a little p.s.... please lay off blade. She kindly offers some of her own guidance and expertise on this site to some of the berries on here. Just take a breath and leave her alone.
    Mummy to the gorgeous Alice Heather and the delicious Harry George

Bubba #3 due March 2014! Finalising short list of favourite names!