Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Co-sleeping

Cradles have existed for millennia. Cot death too.

William Sears proves that simply having attained an MD is no prophylaxis against devolving into a narcissistic quack.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Everything you don't stand behind is "quackery"? Sounds like sound scientific reasoning. Well put, doctor.

The truth is that co-sleeping can be done safely. There are risks, especially in high risk situations (e.g., deep sleepers, alcohol users etc.), but that does not mean that it will lead to death (or other negative outcomes).

Quote Originally Posted by kate_bev View Post
    Everything you don't stand behind is "quackery"? Sounds like sound scientific reasoning. Well put, doctor.

The truth is that co-sleeping can be done safely. There are risks, especially in high risk situations (e.g., deep sleepers, alcohol users etc.), but that does not mean that it will lead to death (or other negative outcomes).
    Yes, that's exactly what I said. "Everything I don't stand behind is quackery."

Or actually, that's not at all what I said. Well reasoned, random Internet layperson whose feathers were ruffled because her worldview was challenged.

And you really suck at logic. I gave validated data above which showed cosleeping, full stop, no 'special conditions,' no people who didn't do it right, with all potential confounding variables controlled for, leads to a whopping 900% increase in the relative risk of mortality in the first month of an infants life. The absolute risk, of course, is not 100%.

Honestly, thank you for parachuting in and providing a perfect example of the typical counter argument employed when discussing cosleeping: anecdotes and pseudoscience, coupled with the paranoia and smugness that comprises the delicious heady cocktail that is attachment parenting. "Special big people" and cribs as prisons a la Romanian orphanages... I couldn't have written a better parody of AP it I tried.
    Blade, MD

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Thanks for trying to use your position to intimidate and bully others. Does it make you feel like a powerful, important person? I am not impressed by your credentials, sorry. I don't think someone's degree determines the value of their thoughts. I am not uneducated, though, just so you know. My Masters degree is in psychology and counselling. It is not in medicine. It takes all kinds of people to make the world work. I also know that "empirical research" often has its flaws. It's not perfect, nor are you. It makes me sad that you feel comfortable being so rude and condescending to others. I am not going to comment any further. It's not worth my time and energy.

You won't comment further because you have nothing to say. At no point have I mentioned, at all, the fact that I am in the medical field. Speaking ex officio and using credentials to bully would look something like this:

"I am a doctor. A freaking DOCTOR! You ignorant peons don't know shit about shit. You can't even understand the basic fundamentals of the field you are purporting to comment on. Just defer to authority and shut up."

You, in fact, are the one with some kind of weird chip on your shoulder, sarcastically referring to me as 'doctor' and repeatedly mentioning your own training as validating your perspective. I, on the other hand, offered objective data that anyone, anywhere, can read and interpret. Just a message, nothing to do with the messenger-- which is absolutely how all science, and all knowledge works.

Edit: sorry, correction. I did mention being in medicine when I talked about autopsying a SIDS baby and taking transport calls to the ER for baby deaths (paramedics always have to call an MD to get official orders for their treatment plans and medications administered). I don't think that was bullying, just an extremely poignant bunch of data points.

I missed the gem about empirical reasoning not being reliable. Waiting ten seconds to hear some blather about intuition trumping verifiable knowledge.... That's when you know you're fully in the realm of pseudoscience and yes, quackery. I thought magical thinking was a cognitive stage children were supposed to outgrow by their school years?
    Last edited by blade; March 24th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Blade, MD