Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Some flower names just are too strange to use them in real life and I think Tigerlily is one of these names. I file it under "trying too hard to be cool" category. It's a celebrity name (Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence-Geldof is the daughter of a tragic couple singer Michael Hutchence and Paula Yates) and I've always felt it was over-the-top. I don't think it ages well either (I can't imagine a grown woman with this name but I can picture a female boxer, wrestler or exotic dancer who took it as a stage name).

Other Suggestions

Juniper
    Clover
    Saffron
    Camellia
    Zinnia
    Dahlia
    Coralie/Coraline
    Gilda
    Gemma
    Elodie
    Marigold
    Magnolia
    Jessamine
    Garnet
    Flora
    Ivy
    Lavender
    Calla
    Azalea
    Acacia
    Lilac
    Fern
    Bryony
    Cassia
    Last edited by mischa; March 24th, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by aurra View Post
    I'm not brave enough to use it. I think it is an awesome name, but it has some drawbacks IMO:
    - Kind of childish. I don't think it will look good on a resume.
    - Really hippy-ish.
    - A celebrity named their daughter Tigerlily a few years back over here in the States, and it got a huge backlash.
    - This is just personal for me, but one of my favorite book series in elementary school was about a group of cats living in the wild, and they had names beginning with a noun or an adjective, like Tiger, Stripes, Leaf and Storm, and ending with a noun such as lily, heart or claw (examples: Stormfur, Fireheart, Hollyleaf, Tigerclaw). And Tigerlily just seems like it fits in perfectly with that. And while I loved the series, using a name that seems undeniable cat-ish is out of the question.

I think Tigerlily would work best as a middle. But if you really love it, then I would definitely go for a solid, classic name as a middle. Tigerlily Charlotte, Tigerlily Eliza, Tigerlily Emma and Tigerlily Faith are all options that carry a bit more power than Grace IMO while retaining the classic, common value of the name.
    Somebody knows the warriors books

I like the idea of the name and I like the concept. It's cute, it's spunky - but I just don't think it works on a "real" child. I'd think ahead - would it be a name that could potentially backlash when she's an adult!? How would you react if you, as a serious employer, saw Tigerlily Grace pop on your screen?

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I think it's a very poor choice, especially if your family unit isn't particularly earthy, or artistic.

I don't take Tigerlily seriously at all, all I think of is the character from Peter Pan.
    Totally agree. When choosing a name, always think about a grown woman, not just a child. Personally, I would hate to go through life as an adult named Tigerlily.

My initial reaction is that Tigerlily is amazing! I've read the other comments about how it won't age well. I agree, but only slightly. Why can't she just use Lily on her resume? Or if she decides to start going by her middle name, she can use that name professionally. I have friends who go by their middles names, and wouldn't even consider putting fn on top of a resume. Same goes here, I think. Obviously, if it's an employer who requires a background check, or something like that, then she would have to provide her full name.

Tigerlily is incredibly beautiful, but definitely needs a stong, and more common middle name to ground it.

Tigerlily Clare
    Tigerlily Anna
    Tigerlily Eve

Edit: I don't know the Peter Pan reference. Obviously sounds like something to look into if you do continue to consider Tigerlily.
    Last edited by labmama; March 24th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.