Names Searched Right Now:

Harry Potteresque surnames.

I'm in the process of forming another family for the Harry Potter world, and I could use some assistance.

Father: Nicholas, is an Australian half-blood wizard.
    Mother: Aurore, was a pure-blood witch (name is highly subject to change, and she is currently deceased but that could very well change.)
    MC: Natalie Demetria
    MC's older brother: Alexander Gemini
    MC's younger sister: Eliana Jolene

1) The surnames I had first was Whitefern, and then I switched to Fairfax, but I'm not really feeling either much now. Any suggestions?

2) Also, I'm starting to think Eliana's name doesn't mesh with her siblings well. Any suggestions? I'd like it to be an E name.

TIA!
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

I agree, Eliana is very liquid, Hebrew, exotic and a bit out of place. Jolene, too, is a little cornbread when you're going for crumpets. Depending on the personality of the character, you either want something mythological or extremely clunky, a la Dudley:

Electra
    Ermentrude
    Epona
    Eris
    Edith
    Ethel
    Edna

Best match for Natalia is Emilia.

Replace Jolene for sure. Jocosa?

Surnames in the Potterverse are important; they're rarely placeholders. It depends on the affiliations and personalities of
    Your characters. Whitefern is good; Beecroft for Hufflepuffs, Runeby for Ravenclaw; Vallant for Gryffendor; something hissy for Slytherin like Argess or Sims or Sykes.
    Last edited by blade; March 24th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    I agree, Eliana is very liquid, Hebrew, exotic and a bit out of place. Jolene, too, is a little cornbread when you're going for crumpets. Depending on the personality of the character, you either want something mythological or extremely clunky, a la Dudley:

Electra
    Ermentrude
    Epona
    Eris
    Edith
    Ethel
    Edna

Best match for Natalia is Emilia.

Replace Jolene for sure. Jocosa?

Surnames in the Potterverse are important; they're rarely placeholders. It depends on the affiliations and personalities of
    Your characters. Whitefern is good; Beecroft for Hufflepuffs, Runeby for Ravenclaw; Vallant for Gryffendor; something hissy for Slytherin like Argess or Sims or Sykes.
    For the character, mythological is definitely more fitting. I like Emilia, but it's a bit too earthy feeling for her, she's more airy; she's an Aquarius if that helps with picturing her energy.
    Electra's good, but a bit heavier than I'd like, the others don't fit.

Whitefern seems like a good option to stick with then...Natalie, and her sister are Gryffindors, I'm thinking of putting Alexander in Ravenclaw instead of Gryffindor. What I like about Whitefern is that it's nothing too striking, which Natalie isn't supposed to be.

Emilia
    Elowen
    Esther

Surname: Stone, Silverley, Morfick
    Giselle Lydia Chiara Darcy Lowri Cleo Nova Fleur Noelle Giovanna Mathilde Flora Susannah Maia Jude David Rueben Theo Raphael Arthur Lance Vinny Marcus James Rowan Henry Christopher

Erienne might fit for the little sister... I don't know.
    For the last name, Hollingberry, Halliwell, Hastings... H names sound pretty good.