Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I adore The Princess Bride! I agree that Florin is a bit on the feminine side, though. Would you use a nickname? Inigo is great. I think people are familiar enough with the character that they wouldn't have too much trouble with it. And Theo and Inigo make an awesome sibset!
    Gwen
    (film student, name nerd, regular nerd, bad influence)

Current favorites:
    Ismay Cleo Sybella Ailsa Iphigenia
    Prosper Sirius August Malcolm Zephyr

I LOVE Florin. You'd be breaking new ground, but in an easy-to-pronounce, manageable way. Perfect!
    Latest list:

Girl: Lulu, Charlie, Fleur, France, Holiday
    Boy: Lennox (Lex), Hugo

Expecting my first.

I like Florin a lot, actually. And I think Theo and Florin are cute together. I think Florian is lovely for a boy, too, and I find that more feminine than Florin. I just saw the film recently (again), and am reminded of how much I love it. People get inspiration from anywhere--why not there? I definitely don't think it's crazy! But if your husband won't go for it, I think something like Max Florin or Max Inigo would be safer on paper (and in real life), but still give you the fun association you love.
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

Love this book! This post makes me want to read it again, if for no other reason than to find less commonly known names for you from it that might be acceptable to your husband. As for Inigo, I definitely think The Princess Bride (the movie) has made its way into the vernacular enough that people will know Inigo. However, it may seem strange if you have no Spanish heritage.

Florin definitely would be breaking new ground while sticking to sounds that are popular now, which is what most folks want to do and how new trends get started, so if you're brave enough, I say go for it. However, you should know that the florin was a commonly known currency in Italy and other European countries way back when (maybe around the 1200s or 1300s?). (Sidenote: Guilder, Florin's neighboring country in the book, was also a currency used way back when, but I think it was Dutch in origin.) If that currency connection doesn't bother you, go for it!

I don't think it's crazy to name your child after a fictional character. Then again, I'm someone who has several names on my list that are inspired by or have connections to fictional characters.

I'm not a fan of Florin, but Inigo is really cool.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Dean ◊ Micah ◊ Gideon ◊ Tobias ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Edith ◊ Georgia ◊ Gwen ◊ Catherine ◊ Lydia ◊ Phoebe