Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I used to ex-ay-vee-er but then got told that was the 'wrong' pronounciation even though I liked it that way. So I 'trained' myself to say zay-vee-er, but then I watched X-Men and they pronounce the way I did!
    Matilda, Beatrix, Lucille, Margo, Ivy, Guinevere, Isadora, Violet, Ada, Alice, Hermione, Cora, Elizabeth, Flora, Olive, Sybil, Isolde
    Felix, Henry, Ambrose, Darcy, Asa, Ezra, August, Oscar, Theodore, Edward, Clark, Arthur, Jasper, Winston, Percival

I'm also Australian, and have only ever heard ZAY-vee-er.

The EX-zay-vee-er pron doesn't make much sense to me. Are there any other words or names in English that start with 'X' but are pronounced in that way?

It astonishes me how many people pronounce Xavier with an "X" instead of a "Z" sound. The "X-Men" franchise has had too much influence on this name. Personally, I still consider the pronunciation "ex-ay-vee-er" a modern invention.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I think a combination between the two is best, very soft x and more pronounced z.

When I first saw it I thought in was pronounced ex-ay-vee-er but I'm pretty sure it's zay-vee-er.