Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Sounds distictly ethnic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by noora View Post
    I love Kamal! I think Kam would be such a cool nickname. I'm actually Arab, so we only considered Arabic names for our kids. When I suggested Kamal, my husband had the same concern you've brought up about it being stereotyped as a name chosen by Black Muslims. What do you think of Kamil (pronounced Kuh-meel like French Camille) I prefer the spelling Kameel. It's from the same root as Kamal, same meaning, so it's related, but without the same associations. I love it! What a great story behind your name choice, by the way!
    This exactly. I have a relative named Kamil and it does wear well in the US, despite its similarity to the predominantly female Camille. Kamil means "perfect" and Kamal is a noun meaning "perfection," but as @noora said, they obviously share the same triliteral Arabic root k-m-l.

I think Kamal will strike totally unknown American ears as more "black" than Kamil, mainly because it rhymes with Jamal.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I like Kamil, Kamal, and also Kemuel.

I don't know if Kemuel is any likelier to be accepted than Kamal or Kamil, though.

Thanks for all your feedback! I'm feeling better about it. I do love the name, so what if it's a little ethnically specific. Noora:
    Quote Originally Posted by noora View Post
    I love Kamal! I think Kam would be such a cool nickname. I'm actually Arab, so we only considered Arabic names for our kids. When I suggested Kamal, my husband had the same concern you've brought up about it being stereotyped as a name chosen by Black Muslims. What do you think of Kamil (pronounced Kuh-meel like French Camille) I prefer the spelling Kameel. It's from the same root as Kamal, same meaning, so it's related, but without the same associations. I love it! What a great story behind your name choice, by the way!
    that would be a great suggestion except that my husband dated a girl named Camille right before we got together :-P
    -an Amelia from a time before 'Amelia' was in the top 100.

Currently feeling:*Roseanne Amelia* or *Kamal Clifford*

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Roseanne
    Boys: Beres, Kamal

TTC Fall 2013!

I agree with most everyone else that I think Arab/Middle East when I hear Kamal. The only one I have ever met was Iranian. Jamal on the other hand definitely makes me think Black. As Blade said, though maybe since they rhyme folks who haven't been exposed to much Arabic culture might assume Black? I feel like that would be a minority of people you and your son would meet though. I think this is a lovely name.