Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question What do you think of Kamal?

I already posted a thread about whether to spell Kamaal or Kamal (and settled on Kamal), but my husband and I both like this name (taken from one of the artists we came to see at the concert where we met), although we are concerned with the connotations people may put on it. My husband is worried that it may be a 'black guy name' (he's black, and our kid will be mixed, but we don't want to pigeonhole our child by choosing too much of an ethnically specific name... i.e., my best friend's name is LaQueisha, or Keisha for short, but I wouldn't honor her by naming my daughter that because of the stereotypical challenges she faces with it). Is Kamal like that? I think it's very different and unique sounding, but I still wouldn't want to use it if he would face a lot of stereotyping for it. Does it sound too ethnically specific to you, or just unique?
    -an Amelia from a time before 'Amelia' was in the top 100.

Currently feeling:*Roseanne Amelia* or *Kamal Clifford*

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Roseanne
    Boys: Beres, Kamal

TTC Fall 2013!

It reminds me of a friend's ex, who was Tunisian and spelt it Kamel. We used to call him Camel, even though it was said more like Kamal would be. I don't think it's too ethnically specific; if I had to guess a race I would say black over white, but the Kamel I knew wasn't black or mixed race, he just had a very bronzed skin tone that I can't exactly pinpoint, so to me it would suit a child of quite a few differet races.

And I have seen Keisha on a white girl, so I think the stereotypes on that one are falling.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Kamal is not for me and I do think Kamal would be ethnically specific to most people.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I don't think "black guy" as much as Arab. I don't know anything about the background of the name, that's just my first instinct with it. It's sort of an interesting mix of Jamal and Kumar.
    I also agree with essjay that it sounds a bit like camel, which could be weird.

Personally, I could get behind Kamala as a girls name--still honoring, but there's more flexibility with girls names and Kami is a cute nn.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Ooo, I do like the Kamala suggestion... and yes, it's an Islamic name, many who wear it are Arabic (but since there was a big trend of African Americans naming their children Muslim names, that's where the concern about stereotyping came in). Thanks for your thoughts.
    -an Amelia from a time before 'Amelia' was in the top 100.

Currently feeling:*Roseanne Amelia* or *Kamal Clifford*

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Roseanne
    Boys: Beres, Kamal

TTC Fall 2013!