Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Pronounce Ragnar and Ragna? (Scandinavian)

I was wondering how you properly pronounce the Scandinavian name Ragnar? I've heard it pronounced in the same way it is spelled and I've heard it pronounced like Rayner. Also, how would you pronounce it's female version, Ragna? Which way is correct? Any berries from Scandinavia willing to answer this?
    Thanks!
    Always changing...
    Alberta . Hester . Sigrid . Frida . Edwina . Margery . Noelle
    Fergus . Edgar . Gregor . Reuben . Angus . Lucius

The Scandinavian (or the Danish, at least) pronunciation is very difficult because the 'Ragn' is pronounced much harder. I think the closest you get to a Scandinavian pronunciation is "RAHG-nahr". It definitely isn't pronounced Rayner, not here in Scandinavia at least. Ragna is the same, just "RAHG-na", without the 'r'. I hope this made just a tiny bit of sense.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Actually, from my experience both Ragnar and Ragna are pronounce harder in Denmark than in Sweden where I grew up.
    You can listen to the Swedish pronunciation of Ragnar here (just click on the blue arrow): http://sv.forvo.com/word/ragnar/
    Alexis Victoria
    mom to the dragon and lion boys, AKA Drake Zephyr and Skandar Leonidas
    TTC 2014/2015

Quote Originally Posted by killromance View Post
    Actually, from my experience both Ragnar and Ragna are pronounce harder in Denmark than in Sweden where I grew up.
    You can listen to the Swedish pronunciation of Ragnar here (just click on the blue arrow): http://sv.forvo.com/word/ragnar/
    I agree, in Swedish you also roll a lot more on the 'ra', whereas in Denmark it's just harsh-sounding (to be completely honest, neither of the names are very nice-sounding in Danish, they sound much better in Swedish (and Norwegian, I presume, they tend to 'sing' more on the words, if you know what I mean)).
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

This was really helpful. Thank you both so much! I'm glad it's not pronounced like Rayner, I prefer Ragnar much more.
    Always changing...
    Alberta . Hester . Sigrid . Frida . Edwina . Margery . Noelle
    Fergus . Edgar . Gregor . Reuben . Angus . Lucius