Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Exclamation your comment will help name a baby human within the week.

My wife and I have somehow managed to make it a little over 8 months without agreeing on a name for a boy due on 3-23-2013 (aka 4 days from now). This is shocking to nobody. I'm the guy that will not ask for directions because, really, i'll figure it out eventually and enjoy the process. Not this time, I need some assistance stat. My wife is surprisingly nonchalant about the whole thing, I think she has something up her sleeve.

Anyhow, our last name is ELLIS. We are locked in on using THOMAS as a middle name or, much less likely, as a first name in honor of a recently deceased great uncle who was a great outdoorsman and all around hilarious guy. We find these to be pretty common names and would like our son to have something with a little more panache without going over the deep end with the first name. Our various families are Welsh, German, and Taiwanese which would be nice to incorporate if possible (ha ha, good luck). Below is our list, any comments on these names or suggestions for others would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Vaughn (the one name we both like but it means "small" and our kid is likely to be small so we nixed it)
    Bram
    Dean
    Harlan
    Griffin (nn Finn)
    Baird
    Hallam
    Eamon
    Amir
    Ivan (wife's favorite that I am not psyched about)
    Temujin (mn option with Thomas as first)

For some additional background.

Choices vetoed by wife, with gusto:
    Ronan
    Drake
    Teilo
    Dante
    Merlin
    Leopold
    Otto
    Lincoln
    Ezra
    Fielding
    Bruno
    Lennox
    Mercury

Choices vetoed by nasty ol husband which are 66% of her suggestions (come on hon, you're not even trying):
    Casper
    Fitz

Hmmm. Sparty! Or Brutus! (You're welcome.)

Eamon is my favorite of your joint list, though it's not the only one I like. I don't know how many people you're going to run into who'll be able to render "small" from Vaughn right off the top of their heads (wild guess: none), so I personally wouldn't worry about it. I mean, it's not like it's a bad thing to be small. But if it still bothers you, it still bothers you.

Suggestions!

Emrys (sure, Merlin got the axe, but worth a try?)
    Shepherd
    Cyrus
    Conrad
    Winston
    Hugo / Hugh
    Franz
    Jabez
    Anders
    Vincent
    Casimir
    Ignatz (or Ignatius)
    Sebastian or Basil (or Balthazar?) nn "Baz"
    Iker
    Arthur
    Gratian
    Theron
    Malcolm
    Cormac
    Fox
    Flynn
    Blaise
    Damon
    Magnus
    Quinlan
    Dexter
    Desmond
    Fergus
    Angus
    Graham / Graeme
    Duncan
    Wynn
    Lorcan
    Gareth
    Ianto
    Idris
    Llewellyn
    Rhys
    Ivor
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

I think I like Griffin and Dean from your agreed list. Of course Leopold should be on there too but...

How about:
    Wolfgang
    Tor
    Elliot ( too much w last name?)
    Gustavo
    Hugo
    Rocco
    Enzo
    Ty
    Winston
    Rupert
    Archie
    Proud mama to L. and S.E.R.

*Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Snow/ Adelaide Clover/Annabelle Violet/
    Wesley Rohan/ Hugo Phelan/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Caius Grey*

What a compelling thread title.

From your list, I like Griffin, Eamon, and Amir best. I second pp's suggestions of Emrys, Malcolm, and Balthazar.

Also...Temujin? Like...Genghis Khan? I feel like that one might get some averse reactions. I'm just curious, though. What's the story behind it?
    Gwen
    (film student, name nerd, regular nerd, bad influence)

Current favorites:
    Ismay Cleo Sybella Ailsa Iphigenia
    Prosper Sirius August Malcolm Zephyr

First of all, hilarious post. Having been in that exact situation (baby due in days and no name), I can say I did not have anywhere near the great sense of humor about it that you do, and that's really fantastic. Plus it gave me a good laugh.

Vaughn -- sounds great with Ellis and 99.9% of people who meet your son will have no idea it means small (I didn't). Plus it's Welsh, which honors your heritage, which I love. Name meanings don't mean a lot to me -- I honestly can't even tell you what my one-year-old son's name means, nor could almost anyone in the real world (despite it being a very common name -- Samuel).
    Eamon -- sounds even better with Ellis, and I think sounds the best with Thomas Ellis and I love the alliteration. Eamon Thomas Ellis. Wow. That is a super handsome name. The only downside is it doesn't incorporate one of the cultures you mentioned (though I could be wrong about that).
    Griffin -- sounds perfect with Ellis and pretty great with Thomas Ellis and gets you some Welsh in the name. Griffin Thomas Ellis. Very respectable and cool name.

It's between Griffin and Eamon for me ... though Harlan is really sneaking up on me and getting into my brain. Harlan Thomas Ellis is also a great name and (I think) not as popular as Griffin.

My advice would be to wait until he's born. I was against doing that with every fiber of my being and wanted a name beforehand, but we couldn't come up with one and when he was born we ended up picking one that neither of us even liked before he was born, and it's perfect for him. You both (or at least you) have done your research and have lots of great names to choose from, and you have the middle name down, which is a huge step. I think you both should relax and enjoy your last days of freedom .... I mean .... nope, I meant freedom.