Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks for your comments, I am going to look into Emrys a little more, it passes the first reaction test. I lived and worked in Mongolia for a number of years. i got to know the better side of Chingis Khan (written mongol style): To wit, he promoted the freedom of religon, enacted some of the first environmental protection laws, unified warring clans to build an enormous empire, amongst many other good (and obviously bad) things. From a different point of view he was quite the leader, so much so that many subsequent world leaders have tried to claim direct ancestry to him. Lots of kids in Mongolia are named Chingis and when the country required people to adopt a family name about a decade ago most people chose his clan name. See this article for a very good description of that process, before this people just had one name ala Cher or Madonna. It was a total PITA since so many people are named "flower" or "axe hero" or the like.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...a-6166594.html

I've always enjoyed the name as well, it just has an interesting sound to it in my mind. But, I'm not crazy enough to name my kid Chingis, or Ghengis, or even Temujin as a first name. Also, I think about as many people who know that Vaughn means "small" will know that Temujin was Ghengis Khan's given name. Who knows. The wife is unlikely to allow it anyhow and is probably letting me keep it on the list to be nice and let me down softly.

Eli Ellis does sounds cool! We have not put it on the list out of concern about the massive popularity of Eli, Elijah, and that line of names in our area. But, it could make a comeback popularity be damned.

I had never heard of Harlan Ellison, thanks for pointing that out.

My concerns about Vaughn meaning small are based on my memories as a kid. I distinctly remember my classmates and I looking up our names for their meanings and researching their historical backgrounds, same thing with our last names. The kids who had names with "strange" meanings were teased pretty hard. I would think that the same goes on nowadays but I'm no longer 10 years old and can't confirm that. He is very likely to be small based on simple Mendelian genetics. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Also, there is the whole "men" and "small" connotations better left explored on different forums. I could see that being trouble in the world of boys aged 8-~17. As an adult who gives a rip. I am sure I am over analyzing this.

Side note: I am a huge Michigan football fan and alum of the university. Anthony Thomas was a famous Michigan football player nick named the A-train. My wife met him a few times on campus and he is probably the one Michigan football player in history that she can name. She would laugh uproariously in my face if I suggested that. Perhaps I'll give it a try for fun!

Hilarious post! And my husband says Go Blue! I agree with previous comments that no one carries around baby name books in their back pockets to look up what Vaughn means. You're son will probably never ask what his name means, but if he does, just tell him it means superhero or brave warrior! The meaning "small" isn't terrible either. It's not like "ugly" or "stinky". If you both love the name, I wouldn't get so hung up on the meaning. We have a 3 1/2 year old Griffin and absolutely love his name. That is my favorite from your list, not just because I am biased, but because I think it sounds best with Thomas Ellis. We don't use the nn Finn for our little guy though. We call him Griff or Griffy a ton! Best of luck with your baby human!
    Married to Matthew
    Mommy to Carter Benjamin (9) and Griffin Oliver (3) and Emmett Nicholas (brand new)