Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Back to square one and thoughts on the name Max

My husband and I can't agree on a name... We have had this problem naming every child. This is our third baby, only boy. I want to name him Oliver or Finn and he wants to name him Jack or James. It's not that I don't like the names he wants, I just want to avoid a super popular name like both of those. I told him that I would go back to the drawing board to see if I can find us some other options. The problem is that I feel like he has very plain taste and he vetoes every name I suggest. Some names I have thrown out for him are- Henry, Luca, Sebastian, Leo, Miles or Milo. He doesn't like any of them. Any new suggestions for us?? Our girls names are Sophie and Violet.

Oh and also- what are some thoughts on the name Max? Do you think it is just as popular/common as Jack? Do you hear it all the time, are you tired of it? Top 100 doesn't bother me but top 10 does. I am still deciding how I feel about the name Max but just wanted to get some opinions.

Shame you can't agree as I think Oliver, Jack, James and Max all go well with your daughters' names. Where I am, Max is nowhere near as popular as Jack though it is on the rise. I've never come across one, old or young. Very handsome

I don't know where you are so I don't know if any of these suggestions are in your top 10:

Samuel, Peter, Luke, Joseph, Daniel, Harry, Oscar, Edward, Matthew, Jude, Andrew, Richard, George, David

Maybe you could compromise?

Oliver Jack
    Oliver James
    James Finn
    James Oliver

I really like Oliver Finn

I like the name Max a lot. I don't like the longer versions of it though like Maximilian or Maxwell. I feel like it could stand alone like Jack does. I hate the long Jackson version too though.

At any rate, I think Max is great. It sounds good on a boy and a man, but it still rather simple like your husband seems to like. He really doesn't like it?

Other suggestions:
    Benno (it's kind of quirky and means bear, but can be shortened to Ben by your husband who likes simple names. Also, there was apparently a Saint Benno. It has some historical background.)
    Bram (I think this name goes nicely with your daughter's names. Also, it's a bit unusual but still familiar.)
    George (I love the name George. It reminds me of George Bailey and George Weasley, but I think it would work well on a little boy. It's kind of old-fashioned yet cool. Like Henry.)
    Rhys (I thought this name might be favored by your husband. It is in the same vein as Finn for me. It's very handsome.)

Finn, Jack, Luca, Sebastian, Leo, Miles and Milo are on my list as well so I can confidently say that you have a good taste in names! I like Henry, Oliver, James and Max even though they aren't my favourite - but they're definitely timeless and lovable. I haven't met one Jack where I live but I have met a Max and a Léo (LAY-oh; I think it's the French version!)

I like Sophie and Violet with: Oliver, Finn, Jack and Henry the most. I also like how Sophie, Violet, and Oliver all have six letters and seem classic. On a side note, I do like Max. I like other suggested choices such as Daniel and Edward. I also like tdillow's suggestion of combining names for first and middle names!