Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New namer needing some help

I'm hoping for some help finding a name for my first child, due this June. I'm pretty new to this whole naming world, so any advice will be greatly welcomed.

So far, I've only come up with these girls names:
    Niamh/Neve
    Pearl
    Ada
    Keira
    Wren
    Margot
    Finola/ Nola

How do you feel about these? What else might I like?

I've started with girls names because I have a feeling it will be a girl, but boy name suggestions are welcome if you have any!

Thank you in advance, I look forward to reading your responses and making some progress on naming this baby before it arrives!
    Last edited by almostmum; March 19th, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

My favorites are Niamh and Ada. So gentle and elemental in a way, a great balance of old-fashioned and familiar yet refreshing and sleek.
    Ailis ("AY-lish")
    Cassia
    Sheila or Celia
    Gwen
    Laure
    Fern

I suggest posting in the "girl names" and "boy names" forums, which get more traffic. Welcome!

I love the name Ada! Would you consider using the name Fiona?

Welcome to Nameberry! Here are my two cents:

Niamh/Neve: depending on where you live, Niamh would have a heck of a time getting people to spell and pronounce her name right; Neve, though, is beautiful and exotic, while being easily spelled and pronounced.

Pearl: I would LOVE to see this on a child! It's familiar and recognizable, but is WAY underused. I've never met a Pearl of any age.

Ada: too close to the trendy Ava and Addison for my liking, and I think it wouldn't catch people's attention.

Keira: This has a much different feel than the vintage Pearl and Ada. Very contemporary-sounding and ALMOST a touch exotic. I do like it a lot.

Wren: this one just feels incomplete to me. It's a pretty word to see written out, but the sound lacks substance.

Margot: I don't like that this looks like "maggot" written out, and the sound has always struck me as odd and unappealing.

Finola: This could grow on me, but the Fin- looks a bit masculine.

You may like:

Winola (one of my top ten favorite names, and the Win- looks much more feminine to me than Fin-)
    Marjorie
    Madge
    Maeve
    Margie
    Lark
    Skylark
    Robin
    Oriole
    Nevine
    Opal

Good luck!

From your list I like Niamh and Keira. My cousin is Niamh, and yes she gets spelling issues a LOT, but she loves her name anyway. Pronunciation is only an issue when someone reads her name first, which honestly doesn't happen much- doctor appointments and first day of school really. Also we live in a part of the US where the majority of people are of Irish decent, so a lot of people are familiar with the name to begin with. Keira is much more mainstream, but still a little unexpected which I think is nice.
    Matilda, Louise, Zoe
    Gregory, Ezra, Simon