Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Eowyn and Arwen

Hybrid View

Eowyn and Arwen

Do you think Eowyn (pronounced AY-oh-win) or Arwen would be usable for children, or are they too strongly associated with the Lord of the Rings? (I'm not considering them for siblings, just individually.) I like LOTR, but I'd be worried the names sound too fannish and little Eowyn or Arwen would grow up to dislike the series.

I think they're both pretty tied to it. And you can't throw a rock into a crowd without hitting at least one LOTR fan. lol That said, they're beautiful and have a history of their own, so I wouldn't be hesitant to use either.

Current loves:
    thomasina louise, percival hugh

. ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙  ✶  . ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙

♥  ❝Words have meaning and names have power.❞

Well, if I met an Eowyn or Arwen, I'd immediately assume her parents were LOTR fans... but that's about it. It's not exactly a connection that would hold a woman back in life or cause any kind of difficulty. The names are quite pretty on their own as well.
    Boys: Ignatius, Hieronymus, Casimir, Osias, Ludovic, Hesperus, Calixto, Aurelius
    Girls: Amarantha, Jacintha, Isannah, Chrysantha, Jonquil, Oleanna, Esmeranda

Quote Originally Posted by argenta_genova View Post
    Well, if I met an Eowyn or Arwen, I'd immediately assume her parents were LOTR fans... but that's about it. It's not exactly a connection that would hold a woman back in life or cause any kind of difficulty. The names are quite pretty on their own as well.
    100% agree with this. I love both Arwen and Eowyn. I know neither of them in real life but I'll be happy to meet one.
    If you're still not sure, using them as middle name would be a great option.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias

While I personally prefer both names as middles (they're both unbelievably stunning), I don't see anything odd about using them as first names either. LOTR is one of the best novels I've ever read, I would be honoured to be named after either Eowyn or Arwen (and I secretly also love Galadriel).
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Théoden "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Aksel Inigo • Aviaaja Cleopatra Hero "Avi" • Fabiola Agnes Lúthien