Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on Vintage Girl Names

I am wanting to see what all of the name lovers out there think about some of the names I have picked out for a girl. I love the different vintage names. I don't overly care for the more trendy and popular names. Vintage, though, seems to be coming more popular so that is both good and bad for me. Good because I love the names, but bad because the names I like are too old sounding. Or so I have been told. It will be good to hear what other people think that are not family members who are over thinking the names. ( Though rightfully so :)
    So here are a few:
    Edith
    Judith
    Ethel
    The two I get the most criticism about are Judith and Ethel. Edith, I know, is becoming more popular. So why would Ethel and Judith not be liked as much as Edith?
    Thanks for your thoughts!

I adore vintage names for boys and girls! Edith is gorgeous. I think Ethel and Judith will become more likeable very soon! Lily Allen named her daughter Ethel, and she's pretty cool, so the name is bound to increase in popularity! Other vintage girls names I adore:

Adelaide
    Agatha
    Agnes
    Audrey
    Beatrix
    Cecilia
    Charlotte
    Clara
    Cora
    Cordelia
    Daphne
    Dorothea
    Dorothy
    Edwina
    Eleanor
    Elizabeth
    Emma
    Enid
    Esme
    Esther
    Eugenia
    Evelyn
    Flora
    Florence
    Frances
    Garnet
    Greer
    Gwendolyn
    Harriet
    Hazel
    Helena
    Henrietta
    Hester
    Honora
    Imogen
    Iris
    Ivy
    Josephine
    Lavinia
    Loretta
    Lucille
    Mabel
    Mae
    Margaret
    Martha
    Mary
    Maude
    Millicent
    Nancy
    Opal
    Pearl
    Rosalind
    Rosamund
    Ruth
    Susannah
    Sylvia
    Tabitha
    Violet
    Wilhelmina
    Last edited by sarahmezz; March 16th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Well, I absolutely adore Judith. I find it to be a classy and beautiful name. A name I find similar in beauty and style is Sylvia. I'd probably use Judith if I had half a dozen daughters.

I am not a fan of Ethel, but Edith is ok.
    Mother of three teenagers: (1) Daniel Glen, (2) Timothy Austin, and (3) Rebecca Jane. All middle names honor family, with Jane used three generations in a row. (A second girl would have been Susanna Eve.

Judith and Ethel are NMS, but I can definitely see the appeal. However, Judith and Ethel don't have the ultra cute, modern nickname Edie- an nn that fits right in with Evie and Ella and Ellie. Judy is still very middle aged and old.
    Generally, outside name message boards, vintage names are frowned upon, hence -aydens and -sons on girls that flood the name lists. In most places, Edith is still seen as an old lady name.

I think it is still to early for Judith, but ever since a celebrty Lily Allen chose Ethel Mary a year or so ago, I think Ethel is in the realm of possibility. But Judith does have a solemn ring that sounds nice to me.

Don't let family members influence you, unless one of them happens to be an active Berry or studies name etymology. Try not to share your name choices. Granted, this is not my experience, but I've heard one too many horror stories about parents to be being convinced out of their favorite name by relatives.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Edith has the awesome nickname Edie!
    Judith sounds so stuffy and snobby. Judy is pretty, but I do not like Judith.
    Ethel sounds awful. It belongs with names like Bertha, Beulah and Helga.
    I like most vintage names, but some of them are just not very pretty and I don't think they should be used anymore.
    If I had to change my name to either Edith, Ethel or Judith, I would definitely pick Edith.