Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Name the Sexy Cowboy.....

Today I'm working on another character in my modern apocalypse story. He's the sexy 'cowboy' of the group. I've already named him Jimmy. I am not willing to change that. The name totally suits him 100%. I've never had a single doubt. I can't decide on a surname. I'll tell you about Jimmy.

Jimmy is in his late 30's. He is tall and has a solid, athletic build. He's a very handsome red-head with blue eyes and lots of feckles. He's the outdoor type. He loves nature, fishing, hunting, the sun, moon, and stars. He's an extrovert with a very deep voice but at the same time he speaks quiet and likes quiet time. He had a good childhood, and was well-liked in school. He was a star on the football team but he had a knee injury in his senior year and he had to quit the team. I know what Jimmy's role is in the story, but I haven't decided on what his job is. I do know that he will be in law inforcement or some sort, police, game warden....something like that. Jimmy has a killer smile, he laughes and jokes around a lot. He's a gentleman, he well-mannered, but he does have a temper an it comes out when someone lies to him or someone he loves is hurt. Jimmy lives with his on-again-off-again girlfriend. I haven't named her yet, but I'm thinking of going with Hillary. Jimmy is also in love with a girl he's known his whole life, his best friend, Annie. Annie doesn't know that Jimmy is in love with her. Jimmy has never said anything. He is afraid it will mess up their friendship, plus Annie has a boyfriend, and Jimmy respects that. In addition, he loves 'Hillary' too and doesn't want to hurt her. He knows that if he can never be with Annie, he could be content and happy with Hillary.

I have a big list of possible surnames. I was thinking of something starting with 'B', but I've listed names that begin with other letters too. The names in bold are my favorites.

Barclay, Barnes, Beaudry, Beckett, Brady, Brotherton, Buchan, Buchanan, Butler

Angus, Armstrong
    Cartwright, Coker, Cooper, Cotter, Coulter
    Edgewood, Everett, Epps, Epstein
    Gable, Garrett, Gearhart, Gibbons, Gilman, Givens, Graves
    Hamilton, Hargrove, Harmon, Helm, Henderson, Hodges, Hoffman, Holden, Hollis, Houston
    Ladd, Langston
    McCray, Miller
    Parks, Parnell, Parrish, Parsons, Patterson, Pierce, Pritchard
    Ramsey, Reynolds, Riggins, Roberts, Rogers, Rosenthal, Russell, Rutledge

Do any of these stand out to anyone? Are there any you hate? If anyone has any suggestions that are not on my list, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks, everyone.

P.S. So I don't get any repeats, here are the other surnames already in use: Cargill, Ford, Price, Wakefield, Dunlop, Sinclair, Trask, Valentine, and Wylie.
    Last edited by crissy76; March 16th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

I would say Beaudry but I don't like the fact that Jimmy and Beaudry both end in Y.

Jimmy Butler
    {Rae}

{Girls: Virginia Caroline, Mirabeth Genevieve, Emmanuelle Lisette, Calliope Isidora, Harper Valentina}

{Boys: Simon Robert, Noah Fox, Jamison Lee, Bailey Dean, Maxwell Cole}

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9826469

Flitting between the Heartland and the South
    I think that because he is going to be in some form of law enforcement that it's important to pick a name that would go well with "Officer".

From your list I suggest:
    Buchanan, Cartwright, Holden, Parrish, and Russell

I would definitely stay away from:
    Beckett- just because I picture someone who is more formal instead of outdoorsy
    Cotter- because it would be close to Jimmy Carter who was the 39th President of the United States

I'm not sure where you are going to take his romantic relationships, but when I name characters I usually give them a last name that would also suit the name of the person they end up with, which helps narrow it down.
    Hope that helps
    TTC #1 since October 2012...
    Cecelia, Lydia, Clara
    Adric, Isaac, Silas

"I'd rather be honest than impressive."

Quote Originally Posted by cheridel View Post
    I would say Beaudry but I don't like the fact that Jimmy and Beaudry both end in Y.

Jimmy Butler
    Actually, Beaudry is what I've been using all along. I LOVE it. The only reason I'm questioning it is it's softness. Jimmy has a soft sound to it. 'B' and 'D' are strong consonants but with Beaudry, they have a softer sound.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Quote Originally Posted by violetink1231 View Post
    I think that because he is going to be in some form of law enforcement that it's important to pick a name that would go well with "Officer".

From your list I suggest:
    Buchanan, Cartwright, Holden, Parrish, and Russell

I would definitely stay away from:
    Beckett- just because I picture someone who is more formal instead of outdoorsy
    Cotter- because it would be close to Jimmy Carter who was the 39th President of the United States

I'm not sure where you are going to take his romantic relationships, but when I name characters I usually give them a last name that would also suit the name of the person they end up with, which helps narrow it down.
    Hope that helps
    Thanks for the tip about the 'Officer' thing. I need to nail down what Jimmy's job is. I've even thought F.B.I., a marshall. If he is police, he would have a higher up title....perhaps detective. Heck, I could even make him a bountry hunter. I like the idea of him being a game warden....it sort of goes with the outdoor theme. Jimmy wears cowboy boots, jeans, and plaid shirts and I really can't see him in a cop uniform.

Parrish and Holden where on my 'like' list of the names not beginning with 'B'. With Parrish, I'm thinking it would sound better if Jimmy wasn't Jimmy, but a Jim. Maybe it's just my ears.

And, you are right about Cotter and Jimmy Carter.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-